8.04.2013

Laura Plantation

New Orleans - Day 4
New Orleans - Day 4
New Orleans - Day 4
New Orleans - Day 4
New Orleans - Day 4
New Orleans - Day 4
New Orleans - Day 4
New Orleans - Day 4
New Orleans - Day 4
New Orleans - Day 4
3
New Orleans - Day 4
New Orleans - Day 4
New Orleans - Day 4

After a very bumpy, rainy tour bus ride, we arrived at Laura Plantation, a restored historic Louisiana Creole Sugar Plantation on the west bank of the Mississippi River in the tiny town of Vacherie. This plantation is notable because the raised big house, built in the early 1800's, still remains, along with several surviving out buildings, that served as slave quarters. It was in these very slave houses that Alcee Fortier collected Creole versions of the Br'er Rabbit stories, which he published in a book of Louisiana Folk Tales. Walt Disney later adapted the character of Br'er Rabbit for its movie, Song of the South.

You know those moments when you encounter something from your childhood, and it's so random and unexpected that it gives you those warm fuzzy feelings? Well, I just so happened to have one of those moments in the gift shop of Laura Plantation. While Hudson was looking at rubber ducks, and Will picked out his reproduction copy of Compair Lapin (Br'er Rabbit), my eyes fell on a book of paper dolls. I had that exact book when I was a little girl. I remember picking it out from a shop after touring a plantation in Charleston, South Carolina, with my Mom and Dad. As soon as I saw it I could remember everything about it. The paper dolls were so pretty and they each had a beau, along with fantastic dresses that would make any little Southern belle's heart flutter. It's neat how sweet memories can sneak up on you.

3 comments:

jeannie said...

There is so much history with these plantations, I love touring them. What a wonderful memory of our trip to Charleston SC and I remember the paper dolls well. Your pictures are beauiful.

Br'er Rabbit said...

This plantation seemed to offer a little bit more history to it. Running french wine though the basement. Even people living in the slave homes up untill the 70's.

I am like you when they started talking about the ole folk tales. I remember them being read to me as a child ad watching the movies.

LOVE YOU!!!

Ashley Elizabeth said...

How gorgeous is this plantation? So much history to be learned!