7.24.2013

Never Stop Exploring

New Orleans - Day 2
New Orleans - Day 2
4
New Orleans - Day 2
5
New Orleans - Day 2
New Orleans - Day 2
New Orleans - Day 2
6
New Orleans - Day 2
New Orleans - Day 2
7
New Orleans - Day 2
New Orleans - Day 2
New Orleans - Day 2
New Orleans - Day 2
8
New Orleans - Day 2
New Orleans - Day 2
New Orleans - Day 2
New Orleans - Day 2

On the afternoon of our second day in New Orleans,
we saw a LOT of stuff.

Hudson danced to a brass band in Jackson Square, before we stopped by Stanley for dinner, where I had the most delicious Thanksgiving Turkey Croissant, stuffed with spicy turkey breast, dressing, cranberry relish, smoked bacon, swiss cheese, basil mayo, and fresh arugula. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

We strolled through the french market, which I had high hopes for, but I was a tad disappointed to find that french market actually translates to FLEA market in the city of New Orleans. A few too many voo-doo dolls and cheap t-shirts for my taste, but it was still fun to check it out. Plus, by way of the market, we ended up on Frenchmen Street, so very different from the glitzy neon of Bourbon Street, it's a musical neighborhood where the "locals" hang out.

We stopped by Brad & Angie's (let's just pretend I'm on a first name basis), and I tried my hardest to peep inside. Unfortunately, peeping is near impossible when every window and door is tightly covered with closed shutters.

Will got his ghostly fix at the creole cottage, Jean Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop, a tavern that was built before 1772, and is known as the oldest bar in the USA. The pirate Jean Lafitte owned it once, but being a pirate, he generally used the place to carry out dastardly deeds, hence the ghosts that still hang out there in the candlelight.

On the way back towards our hotel, we stopped into Antoine's Annex and had a scoop of chocolate chip gelato, before going into a cute shop and trying on carnival masks.

When we finally made it back to the Royal Orleans, we were so hot and tired. The best remedy was a refreshing dip in the rooftop pool. 

2 comments:

Captain Lafayette said...

It was fun to stroll around town and check out everything. I can't remember, did you pull a Hudson and look through a couple of mail slots on this stroll? That was a neat bar. No lights just candles and the daylight shinning in. Lots of happy laid back people. I wonder how many miles I walked with Hudson on my shoulders on this trip?

LOVE YOU!!!

misc.alaina said...

Looks like a fabulous day! I am loving all your vacation posts!!