7.23.2013

Bonjour New Orleans! Je t'aime.

New Orleans - Day 1
New Orleans - Day 1
New Orleans - Day 1New Orleans - Day 1
New Orleans - Day 1
New Orleans - Day 1
New Orleans - Day 1
New Orleans - Day 1
New Orleans - Day 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Let the good times roll!

In celebration of our EIGHTH wedding anniversary, Will planned a trip for our little family to one of the world's most fascinating cities. New Orleans is a place known for it's amazing architecture, diverse culture, beautiful music, and delicious food. It's such an authentic American city, yet it's like no other place in the United States. 

As a first time visitor, I was blown away by the appearance of the French Quarter. Unique and intimate, New Orleans' oldest neighborhood sits on a crescent in the Mississippi River, a gorgeous mix of Spanish, Creole, French, and American architecture. I immediately fell under the spell of the community, while simultaneously realizing that the common interpretation of the French Quarter is so very wrong....this place is much more enchanting than you could ever expect. 

Our lovely hotel, with Spanish wrought iron railings and the Parisian mansard roof, was located at St. Louis Street and Royal Street, "the most fashionable corner" of New Orleans. It's been a popular location for decades, and has it's place in popular culture, as well. James Bond stayed at the Royal Orleans in Live and Let Die, and the song "Royal Orleans" by Led Zeppelin is supposedly based on on an incident involving the band at the hotel in the '70's. 

Upon arriving, we went straight to the rooftop terrace to enjoy the spectacular view of the French Quarter. We caught a glimpse of the authentic steam-driven paddlewheeler, the Natchez, and even heard it's steam calliope toot a cute little tune. Hudson loved it, and even did a little dance when we heard those steam whistles blow.

6 comments:

Jeannie said...

Good to have you back, I've missed your adventures. Also, love the new page. Is there anything Hudson does not enjoy doing? After that long drive and he can still do a little dance, cute. Glad you all had a wonderful trip.

Brittany | Life of a Bama Girl said...

Happy Anniversary! I love New Orleans. I have only been once for a wedding but have been wanting to go back! We went around this time a few years ago and it was scorching hot so it wasn't too enjoyable walking around... Glad y'all had fun!

Who Dat said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! This was a fun little spur of the moment trip. We had so much fun walking around town. I think Hudson really had fun looking in all of the mail slots. Hope we can make it back one day.

I like the new look of your page.

LOVE YOU AND HAPPY #8!!!

Cindy P said...

Yay! I am so glad you guys had an amazing trip! New Orleans is on my list of places to visit. And where you stayed is just gorgeous! I want to stay there, too. :)

I love the new page design you put up. Golly I really need a new blog design. I wish I wasn't so terribly inept at it so I could do it myself.

justicepirate.com said...

Looks like you've been having such a grand summer together as a family! Nola always looks like a great place to see and explore. I am glad you were able to go and enjoy it.
+Victoria+

misc.alaina said...

New Orleans is on the top of my list of vacation destinations! Sounds like your husband did a great job planning! Love the views from your hotel!