1.01.2013

A Story About 2012

2012.
There's definitely been a lot of really good stuff that happened this year.
But if I could sum up our year with one little word, it would be:
CHANGE.
House Progress

I haven't written much about this on the blog,
but this year has been very different for our little family.
In August of 2011, we put our house on the market.
We loved our home, but it was past time for us to move
to somewhere that had a bit more space for us.
We looked and looked at tons of houses,
and we found a lot we liked,
but none that we loved.
Buying a home is a big decision,
and in a lot of ways, 
it's like finding the perfect pair of jeans. 
It's all about finding what fits.
If they're too big or too small,
you'll be uncomfortable.
And while you might find a deal in the bargain aisle,
you run the risk of not being truly satisfied. 
Your home should fit your lifestyle,
and like fashion,
that changes with time.

In January of 2012 we found a house we liked a lot.
We had been waiting patiently for it to go on the market.
The day it went up for sale,
we dropped the price on our house,
and received 2 good offers that very day.
We then made a great offer on the house we liked.
The owner verbally accepted.
All that was left was the pesky paperwork.
 After months of uncertainty,
it seemed as though things were finally starting to come together.
We agreed on an offer, and sold our house.
We were ready to move.
We had one month to turn our house over to the buyer.
Then, something we weren't expecting to happen, happened:
The seller of the house we wanted BACKED OUT.
She took her house completely off the market.
She said she was too emotionally attached to sell it.
And our house was already sold. 
Confused doesn't even been to describe how we felt.
House Progress

February rolled along, and we moved out of our house on Valentine's Day Weekend.
We had no prospects of anywhere new to live.
We took a little getaway to the lake before temporarily moving to my parent's house,
"just until we found a new house".
My parents live an hour away (in my hometown),
so we knew it would be a bit tough on Will,
who would have to commute to work.
House Progress

Fast forward to May,
we were still living with my parents.
And we still had found nowhere we wanted to live.
We knew we had to make some kind of decision.
Way back in 2008, before Hudson was born,
Will and I bought a beautiful wooded lot,
with the intention of building our dream house "someday".
After some thought,
we decided that our "someday" might just be now.
House Progress

By mid-June,
the building of our new house was underway.
We were beyond excited.
Watching them pour the concrete,
put up the beams,
build the roof,
nail the shingles....
each step has made our anticipation (and happiness) grow!
House Progress
House Progress
House Progress
House Progress
House Progress
House Progress
House Progress
House Progress
House Progress

Now it is January 1st, 2013,
and we're not "home" yet,
but we should be there by the end of the month.
I am obviously so thankful for our beautiful new home,
but I'm also thankful for the lessons I've learned this year.
 I now realize that every difficult trial we faced during 2012,
had a purpose.
Sometimes it's hard to understand God's timing,
but I have learned not to get discouraged,
even when it seems as though your world is falling apart.
But most importantly I've learned that
sometimes my plans don't work out,
because God has better ones.
House Progress
House Progress
House Progress
House Progress
House Progress
House Progress

I want to extend a big, huge thanks to my Mom and Dad
for putting up with us for a whole year.
You two are beyond kind,
and so very accommodating to our (sometimes rambunctious) family of three.
It hasn't always been ideal with two families under one roof,
but we have really had a great time.
Someday when I look back on 2012,
I know I'll be thankful for this special year that we got to spend with my parents, and 
I know that Hudson will always look back on this time with nothing but wonderful memories.
And most of all, I sure will miss our game nights.

We can't wait to get back in the groove of things,
and make a wonderful new beginning in our
cozy new abode that is tucked under shady trees,
steps from the river's edge,
and just far enough out of the hustle and bustle
to feel like we're living our very own little fairy tale.

Welcome 2013!!

18 comments:

THE COOK'S said...

Ahhh, so excited for your new home!! It looks like it's gonna be amazing for your family on an awesome piece of land! Happy 2013!! xo

A Guy Almost Under A New Roof said...

You know they say time fly's when you are having fun. I know there were times in 2012 that seemed like the day would never end. Looking back on it. It really did fly by. Although I am tired of the drive I have enjoyed getting to know your parents better. As for that house that I fought and fought to try and get for us I am so glad that it did not work out. I mean look at what we are getting. We are getting exactly what we want for our home. Once we are there we will be back to those little things I have missed in 2012. Getting to come home for lunch and see you and our little guy. getting home allot earlier after work to spend time with ya'll. I can say that 2013 is going to be a great year.

LOVE YOU AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Andrea {kerubo mama} said...

Oh, my friend! What a challenging lesson to learn, but wow, knowing that God is always in control is just so reassuring. That house looks SO fantastic, I cannot wait to see it when it's finished!! Such a beautiful property, seriously a fairytale!! I hope you enjoy it immensely.. I'm incredibly happy for you!! Much love to you!! Happy New Year! xo

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

That is so so exciting!! It's unfortunate that the first plans made it rough for you but this is just proof everything happens for a reason. You must be extrely excited. I know your home will be beautiful :)

Kira said...

Yay, can't wait to see photos of the finished place. We had a similar situation when we sold our last house. We moved in with my husband's parents while we waited on a short sale we had offered on. It took months for them to accept an offer and it wasn't ours. So we had to start the house search all over again. Living with his parents for half a year wasn't ideal, but we eventually ended up in a house we loved!

Megan said...

I adore how optimistic you are, it's such a beautiful trait of yours and something I would love to be better at myself. I'm so excited for you guys and how everything is turning out! I can totally relate to being thankful for the time spent with your parents, my brother came and lived with us for a year awhile back and even though it was a full house it was time that we really enjoyed having together. Happy New Year to you & your beautiful family!

Shay said...

Wow Ashley, what an incredible adventure! I love what you wrote about things working out the way God intended- this last year and a half definitely taught me that! So excited for you and your beautiful house!

Chrissy said...

Wow, Ashley, I had no idea! What a challenging year it has been! And how wonderful of your parents! I am so happy for all of you to be moving into your beautiful new home soon and cannot wait to see and read all about it! Happy New Year! Hugs xxx

Courtney B said...

I am so happy for you that things are finally coming together! This house sounds like a dream and I can't wait for you guys to move in and make it your home!! Ah, its going to be just prefect!!
And I admire how positive you've been through the whole experience! I'd be more than frustrated.... but what a perfect reminder to put my faith in God and trust His timing!!

Cindy P said...

I'm so excited that your house is almost complete! I can't wait to see pictures of it once it's done.

I'm glad that, even though I'm sure it has been hard, you've enjoyed living with your parents for this year.

I am personally very grateful for the year we spent living with Collin's parents. Like Will said in his comment, it was great getting to know his parents better!

Cara-Mia said...

Wow, that sounds like such a challenge, but I'm very glad you are building your dream house! 2013 will be your year.

Carlie said...

That is so exciting that you got to build your own house! It's also nice that your parents let you all live with them while you were figuring everything out! Good luck with the move!

justicepirate.com said...

Woah!!! I didn't know you lived with your parents for a while because of all that stuff that happened. . .but they have the biggest house I've ever seen! It looks like 3 houses put together!!!! Your lot, that is so so cool that you built a house on a dream lot like that. Your home is GORGEOUS (and also so big!!! How amazing. We're visiting now haha). Congratulations on having such an amazing blessing!! I hope to one day own a home but at the same time, we don't think we ever will because we want to be missionaries as it is. I am very content with our two-family home that we rent the upper half of. It is probably like having a corner of your home, but it is perfect for us. How great.
+Victoria+

Ashley Eliza said...

How exciting!I am thrilled for you and your beautiful family. I can't wait to see pictures and how your amazing style is incorperated into your home. That's so neat Ash that you guys have had the lot there and waiting for the perfect time to build. God's timing really is everything. It always does work out better when it's on his time and it's funny because it always ends up being so much better then we could ever imagine..whatever the case may be. :) I always have to remind myself of this! Hope you had a wonderful christmas and are enjoying the new year. Sending love your way from utah!

xo

meghan said...

What fun your new home is going to be! Thanks for sharing this with us. Though I'm sure it was a bit challenging for your whole family, I would imagine there must have been some moments with your parents that you enjoyed being there. I'm sure they loved having Hudson there as well. I'm so sorry that your original house fell through; it seems strange that the person pulled the house off the market like that. But, it's so great that you were able to view this opportunity as your chance to build your dream house!

misc.alaina said...

I wondered what you guys were up to after you sold your house! Sounds like an emotional roller coaster for you, but now you have a new house to look forward to this year and that is very exciting. I can't wait to see photos as the house gets finished and you work on getting settled in. Hope y'all have a very happy 2013!!



jeannie said...

Ashley, what a sweet post. I can't begin to tell you how much we have enjoyed having you, Will and little Hudson live with us. We have had so much fun watching Hudson grow and getting to experience new things with him. We have had a lot of fun with our game nights even though Will and I got a little competitve. You all are welcome here any time. It has been a good year. love mom

Judy said...

What a year!!! I'm so glad it panned out and like you said, God does have a plan. Cannot wait to hear how it turns out!