1.03.2013

A big step for such little shoes.

Today was a big day.
I woke up extra early this morning.
I made a lunch.
I packed a backpack.
I slipped into the darkness of my little boy's room,
gently woke him up,
and told him
"Good Morning! Today is school day!"

Today was Hudson's first day of preschool.

First Day of Preschool

He has been excited from the very first mention of preschool.
So when he woke up bright and early and realized that today was THE big day,
he was ecstatic. 
Since we are still at Mom & Dad's,
our drive to preschool is much longer than it would be if we were at home.
So during our hour long drive there,
we had fun singing songs together,
and talking about school.

We picked up Will from work so that he could go with us to walk Hudson in,
and that made our little guy extra happy.
We got to see the classroom before the other kids arrived,
and while we were looking around,
Hudson met one of his teachers.
As she introduced herself,
he inched toward her,
wanting a hug.
It was so precious.
She gave him a squeeze and said, "Oh, you're a sweet one!"
We knew he would be in good hands.

First Day of Preschool
First Day of Preschool

We walked him down to the gym to join his fellow classmates,
and he jumped right into the fun,
running in circles with the other little ones,
giggling
and smiling
and falling down
and jumping up
and running some more.

First Day of Preschool

We told him goodbye.
We told him we'd be back to get him after he had lunch.
He came back to us twice,
and asked us not to go,
but the third time he hugged us, and said that he was going
to make snow angels.

First Day of Preschool

I held back my tears all the way until I made it to the parking lot.

When we picked him up,
they walked him out and he said:
"Mama! Daddy!"
when he spotted us. 
I was so happy to see that little guy.

So far we've heard:
"I had fun at school!"
"I made lots of friends. Boys and girls."
"There is no running in the classroom."
"Teacher said we could color later."
"I ate my lunch: turkey sandwich, some chips, grapes, and two cookies."
"I got to use glue!"
"Mama said she'd be back to get me. I wasn't worried."
(heart. melted.)

All in all,
sounds like a pretty good day.

Almost three and half years ago,
 I was in a hospital room,
holding my tiny little boy,
brand new and so very sweet.
Those moments feel so fresh,
and these new memories are so very bittersweet.

From first breaths to the first day of preschool,
I am so thankful to God for every single moment
of Hudson's amazing journey. 

12 comments:

Shay said...

He hugged his teacher? Swoon. What a sweetheart. And what he said about not being worried about you coming back is just the sweetest! I cannot believe he is in preschool!

Jesslyn Amber said...

This is the sweetest thing! Doesn't blogging make you so happy - to know that you can capture these precious moments?

Warms my heart. :)

Chrissy said...

Ah, this is so sweet! What a lovely boy! Hugs xxx

meghan said...

I am such a sap for your posts. How sweet. I'm so glad he loved school, and hearing your recounting of his first day is just magical.

Daddy Day Care said...

I knew he would do great. He looked and acted like he just had a blast. The one I was worried about was you. I sure am glad we were busy to help keep your mind off worrying so much. You both did great!

LOVE YOU!!!

misc.alaina said...

Awww, so sweet! So glad he enjoyed his first day and was so brave!! Loving your account of this exciting day!!

Meri said...

he looks so cute and grown up with the backpack!

Ruby Girl said...

so cute! wow you capture his and your lives beautifully through photography and words on this blog. and i absolutely love how you dress hudson!! such a stud! :) {{xoxo linds www.rubygirlblog.com}}

Judy said...

Oh, what a big boy!!! Melts my heart to see him getting bigger. :(

Ashley Eliza said...

he is adorable! i love that he said he wasn't worried. what a little cutie. glad he had a great first day of pre-school!

xo

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh this is just so sweet! I am glad that he liked going to pre school. They do seem to grow up so fast don't they?

Courtney B said...

Oh my goodness... I am CRYING! I have loved all of your sweet posts but this one just got to me the very most!
Today has been such a trying day. I just posted 2 days ago how nursing was an extreme trial for me the first 2 weeks of Mia's life, but we've finally got it figured out. And then TODAY she stopped nursing. I've been crying and stressing all day again and almost wishing time away until she can eat food and I won't have to stress about stupid nursing. But oh my goodness, the time will be gone before I know and I will wish for this back! I can't wait to see Mia grow but I want to enjoy every second of her journey! I just hope she is as precious and sweet as your Hudson :) And I hope I can be as good of a momma as you are. I've always thought Hudson is the luckiest to have you :)