12.07.2012

A New Tradition

Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar
Advent Calendar

December is a very exciting time. We read Christmas stories and set up the special nativity scene. We fill the house with decorations, holiday music, and the sweet smell of baked goods. We visit with friends and family, and rush around to fun activities to celebrate this wonderful season. It truly is a time of anticipation and joy. But with all the hustle and bustle it is easy to lose track of the little things.

To remedy this, I decided to start a special new tradition this year: The Advent Calendar! The little doors of our festive gingerbread house will hold treats of many different kinds...special Bible verses, candy, Christmas ornaments, and instructions to enjoy holiday activities will be among the surprises, with an extra special gift for December 25th. I've had so much fun planning the calendar for Hudson, and the look of excitement on his face when he saw it made my heart so happy!

Here's to celebrating Christmas for an entire month, and making this amazing time of year even more special for the little ones! 

20 comments:

Carlie said...

I love this tradition! What a fun memory for him!

Bon Bon said...

YES! So doing this next year with our little man! xoxo

Noe said...

I love your guys' new tradition ;)

Mariel Torres said...

oh my goodness, these tradition is absolutely precious. I wish you and yours the most marvelous holiday season my sweet friend!

lots of love,

Mariel

Chelsea said...

How cute! The gingerbread house is such a cool way to do an advent calendar!

la petite lulu said...

So sweet! Love these fun traditions - and it's such a cute advent calendar too!

Hoho said...

I think this is a great idea Swoop. I know your all about traditions and it looks like you have started another fun one to our list. Hudson looks so excited in these pictures.

LOVE YOU!!!

Ana F. said...

The look on his face is so precious!

Ashley said...

I just love the look on Hudson's face when he saw that cute little gingerbread advent calendar. What a fun new tradition. I've missed you on the blog recently... glad you're back! (:

Charles said...

oh my gosh, he got so big! i love his pirate jammies & the advent calendar is too cute. great post!
xx

http://wearingwolf.blogspot.com

Haley K said...

Loved every bit of this Ashley! You know we're advent fans. :) I adore the idea of including clues to find special treasures (like that adorable bear ornament with an 'H' for your special little man) and including activities to do throughout the month! My sister does a 12 day one with all sorts of festive things to do and see and make over winter break for her kids and they love it!

Your Hudson is one lucky (and tall, when did he grow up so big!?) boy to have such a loving mama to make Christmas last the whole month. :)

Glad your back!! xoxo

Haley K said...

Oh and the "home sweet home" gingerbread house is perfection. :)

Shauna said...

Two posts right in a row! Wonderful! I love the pictures in this post. So great. It's so fun creating and keeping family traditions. Guess what? Tomorrow, Sunday, I am speaking in church on "Cultivating Family Traditions." Fun huh? I thought of you when I was writing it and your ginger bread house! I love it Ashley, and so glad you are having a Merry Christmas Time! Love, love,

Shauna xoxoxoxxxoxoxo

misc.alaina said...

Such a sweet tradition to start for him, and I am sure he looks forward to it each day!! And your little guy is getting so tall and handsome!!

Shay said...

I cannot believe how big Hudson is looking- make it stop! So adorable though. I absolutely love this idea. I hope I can be as creative and fun of a mom as you are!

justicepirate.com said...

This is wonderful! I love it.
Advent is what we're celebrating this year instead of Christmas. . does that make sense? I know there isn't too much of a difference to most people, but I feel Advent captures Christmas most. Love Hudson's happy face here!
+Victoria+

Cara-Mia said...

I love that you're starting this tradition with him! I used to loooove Advent calendars as a child, and have so many fond memories regarding them. Yours is extra special since you did it all yourself.

Courtney B said...

I LOVE this!! What a FUN tradition and the perfect way to remember what Christmas is all about!

meghan said...

Where did you get this one? I just love it!!

Amy said...

Where did you get this advent calendar? It's so cute. I love the colors!