9.24.2012

The Tale of Captain Beauregard Reno



Once upon a time,
I was a sophomore in college.

My two best girlfriends at the time
were a set of blond twins.
We took classes together // We went to parties together // We traveled together
We did everything together.
Inseparable was an understatement.

One day, 
the three of us went with a friend to the pet store,
and we spotted the most precious little black and tan puppy
with big paws and twinkly brown eyes.
He was playful and snuggly and soft...
all the things a good puppy should be.

After we found out that he was from the pound,
and FREE to a good home,
we collectively made the decision that he would be "our" dog.
One special dog for three girls.
And we named him Captain Beauregard Reno.
Beau, for short.

"We" bought him cute collars.
"We" split the cost of dog food.
"We" took him for walks.
And "we" loved him a lot.

Then, "we" fell apart.
Schoolwork became more important than social life.
Boyfriends got in the way of our friendship.
We slowly drifted apart before, ultimately,
having the most terribly, awful, horrendous argument in the history of arguments.
We never spoke again.
And I found myself 
without two close friends.

But I DID have one very sweet dog.

At the time, I shared my off campus apartment with a roommate,
who just happened to be my best friend from high school.
We had a two story apartment,
with both of our bedrooms upstairs,
and a common area downstairs.
We were not allowed to have pets.
And my roommate didn't like dogs.

Long story short,
I didn't heed the rules.
I snuck Beau in,
and hid him in my apartment
for months. 
I even successfully hid him from my roommate.
Hard to believe, but I was quite stealthy.

Then she found out.
And I knew that I had to do something.
It wasn't fair to her,
or Beau...
who was a growing dog that needed more exercise than our daily walks.

I called my parents and asked if I could please send Beau to our family farm,
so he could live in the big, wide open.
And they said okay.

My mom and I drove Beau over to the farm on a Sunday.
He was wearing his red collar that said Rockstar,
and he was unsure about where we were going.
I worried so much that my sweet dog, who had spent almost every day of his life
in the cozy confines of my apartment, wouldn't do so well in the wild.
I dropped him off,
and even though I knew that I could visit him at the farm whenever I liked
(it's only about an hour from my parent's house),
I just couldn't help but feel sad.

But he LOVED it there.
And now, eleven years later, he is still loving it.

We visited the farm this past weekend,
and Hudson really took up with Beau.
They played together in the fields,
and Hudson gave him so many sweet squeezes.

Beau is twelve years old now.
He ran along behind the truck as we rode through the fields,
he swam through the pond,
and he rolled around with his hound buddy Ruckus.
But by the time we headed back towards the house,
his little legs were getting stiff,
and his age began to show.

We scooped him up and let him ride the rest of the way with us,
on the bed of the truck.
I sat with him, and as the evening breeze blew through our hair,
he nuzzled in close and looked sweetly at me with his big, brown eyes.
And although he didn't stay with me through college
and after,
he's still my dog...
and at that moment,
I think he was thanking me for this good life
he has had on the farm.

27 comments:

Mariel Torres said...

Loved how the pictures capture the essence of the story... which, by the way, made me feel both sad and happy at the same time (the story that is). Hudson is such a happy little boy. love it! and you my sweet friend look absolutely gorgeous!

PS. Is that breadfruit?!?!?!

justicepirate.com said...

Hudson's wearing cute little John Deere booties!!!!!!!!! awwww. So cute. These are lovely family shots! I love seeing all three of you together in shots!
+Victoria+

A Red Wasp said...

Beau, Has got the life that most dogs only get to dream about. He is one great and lucky dog. Hudson had a blast though. He wanted to do anything the guys were doing. He wanted to get up in his Great Grandfathers truck and act like he was working on the farm. Then it was drive the tractor with his Granddad. Then what he had been waiting to do all day was drive Daddys big truck as we drove down the dirt road. After he rode through the fields and looked at the cows and we came to a stop down by the creek. He saw Gary walk off into the creek. So guess what he wanted to do next. He had the biggest time stomping around and throwing rocks. All and all this was a great day at the farm.

LOVE YOU!!!

My Journey With Candida said...

Oh Ashley,
That brought tears to my eyes. Dogs can be the BEST Friend you have ever had. I miss having dogs, but it isn't fair to bring a dog into my life at this point. We travel way to much.

I see you were collecting monkey balls. Yours are huge, the ones around here don't get that big. They are suppose to keep mice and spiders away. Around here, the Amish sell them for $1 a ball.

Shannon @ Bungalow960 said...

This was beautifully written, my friend. Animals have senses that we don't possess. He will always know you as his first mama.

Eva Marie said...

Oh what a cute little story about Beau.. My dad use to do the same thing when he was a kid and my granny use to tell him not to. But she always took the dog in and loved it :)

Love Hudsons little boots, how sweet!

meghan said...

This is such a sweet story! I love it and I'm so glad that it ends so happily! That's great that you were able to introduce Hudson to Beau. It's like two parts of your life meeting! How fun!

Haley K said...

Ashley what sweet memories you shared! I'm sorry that friendship with those twins ended on a bad note...but I think Beau was definitely lucky to end up with you. :) Cracked me up thinking of you being all stealthy with him in your apartment. ;) Are you a FRIENDS watcher?? There's an episode where Phoebe hides the fact that she has a dog in Monica's apartment (because Chandler is "allergic" to dogs, but it just turns out he's afraid of them, especially puppies, Lol). It's hilarious. ;)

And then to live on a farm! I think Captain Beauregard Reno is living the dream. :)

xo
Haley

PS - Beau and Ruckus, how cute is that?? :)

PPS - The 9th or 10th photo down, of the back of Hudson with his arm around Beau, is ADORABLE. And Hudson is oh-so handsome in his little John Deere boots! Love your boots too :)

Kira said...

I'm sure he loves his life on the farm! I'm glad you were able to work that out with your parents so you could still have your Beau around :)

Natasha said...

This is such a sweet story!
And you're family is so beautiful...I love Hudsons little boots :)

Faith said...

Omg, this is the best story. I loved reading this. I think he was thanking you too :)

A Babbling Brunette said...

Such a sweet story! Love the pictures!!

Andrea {kerubo mama} said...

Such a bittersweet story! But with a very happy ending for beautiful Beau! Your pictures are breathtaking, and you are gorgeous, as always. I love the pictures of you and Hudson together. I just love your family. xoxo

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh my goodness what a sweet post and what a sweet dog!! The pictures are just so cute and Hudson's boots are adorable. Love the pictures of him with your dog and the family picture of you all is so good.

Cindy P said...

Oh what a story! How sweet you were to let Beau live on the farm where he could have lots of fun. I know that must have been really hard though. I'm glad you guys got to go to the farm this weekend though! It looks like a beautiful place to visit!! Hope you're having a great Tuesday, friend. =)

Carlie said...

I'd like to hear how you actually kept a dog hidden from your roommate? That is impressive! That is nice that you still get to visit him too. Sounds like he has enjoyed life on the farm.

Andrea C said...

This is so sweet, it brings tears to my eyes. It's every dogs dream to have such a wide open and free place to live his life! Beau is one lucky fellow, and Hudson's outfit is killer, those boots! Have a great day :)

xoxo andrea
www.yesterdaystomorrowblog.com

Judy said...

Beau is blessed!!!! Our rascal of a dog hates to be left outside for more than 30 minutes. Spoiled rotten, I tell ya!

Amber said...

what a sweet story! I wish move pound puppies ended up with loving families on big ole farms!

Ashley said...

Aww!! Beau!!! I know that he has loved the farm life. I love the story of how Beau came to be.

rachel said...

i am so in love with Beau. what a happy, lucky little pup.....and YES! what a great life you gave him! i can think of nothing better for a doggy than to spend his days, happilly frolicking in the grass and the lake, jumping around, getting muddy and being carefree.....shoot, that sounds like a good life for all of us ;)

love you, ladybug!

xo

Ashley Eliza said...

Ash I just love everything about this story. First off i love dogs. i'm a dog girl. my dog passed away when i was 14 and i sobbed for days. i love how perfectly you captured little hudson loving on him. what a beautiful life you gave him on the farm. okay, and i most love that you kept him in your apartment for a long time! too funny. isn't it crazy how a dog can be your best friend? anyhow i just like this story lots. have a great day!

ps i want to be a part of your family.

misc.alaina said...

Such a sweet post! This really brought tears to my eyes. It sounds like you made the best decision for him and I cannot imagine how he couldn't love to be in the open like that. So sweet that he and Hudson get along! Love your outfit and necklace!!

Chelsea said...

Love the story- and what a happy ending! That is the perfect home for a dog.

And all the photos are so pretty- there's nothing like open fields and fresh air.

Sierra said...

Adorable pictures!
What a fun setting!
Hope all is well.
xoxo,
Sierra
Oh, Just Living the Dream

Shauna said...

Oh my goodness gracious this is the cutest post ever!!! Wow what a story huh? I am not a dog lover but it's always so amazing how you dog lover's can love your dogs so much, it's great really. :)

Ashley the pictures are just amazing, so lovely, colorful, mesmerizing to look at. I love them all. You are a doll as always and the two guys are just as cute as ever! Too much, you're all just too cute. :) Take great care, and glad you got the visit, looks wonderful.

Shauna xoxoxoxo

Cara-Mia said...

The photos accompanying this sweet story are just beautiful!

You guys are such a cute family!