7.11.2012

Stone Mountain

During our trip to Atlanta, we spent a day at Stone Mountain...which just happens to be the largest exposed mass of Granite in the world. It's also the home to the largest bas-relief carving in the world, which depicts Confederate leaders Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis, and spans a distance of 3 acres on the North side of the mountain. Stone Mountain, Georgia was mentioned in MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech, and the parts of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games were held there.

We went for a fun ride on the Duck....an amphibious WWII vehicle that started out by barreling down the road, and then drove straight into Stone Mountain Lake for a dip. Our funny maritime captain led us on an adventure tour of Stone Mountain, narrating historical information and leading us in sing-a-longs. When we boarded the Duck, we were all given "quackers", which we obviously blew at every opportune time. Hudson had a blast, and he even got a chance to show off his brave demeanor when the captain asked if there were any young people that wanted to drive. Hudson marched his tiny little self to the front of the vessel, sat down, and started steering through the lake like he had done it a million times. The captain looked at him and said, "You've done this before haven't you?" I hope Hudson always keeps his fearless spirit.


One of Hudson's most favorite movies is Rio, so when we saw that Stone Mountain Park featured a Birds of RIO show, we knew he would be ecstatic. And, boy, were we right. From the minute we walked into the Arena, Hudson was dancing along to the Brazilian music and smiling like crazy. We found a spot on the front row, and he could barely stay in his seat when the birds came out...he was so excited. At the end of the show, the nice girl that led the production asked all the kids to form a Congo line, and of course, Hudson was leading the way. Birds and dancing?! He was in heaven! Before we left, Hudson got to cradle the star of the show in his little arms...how's that for a fun memory?

The Summit Skyride is a high speed ride in a Swiss cable car, that offers stunning views of the carving while traveling more than 825 feet above ground to Stone Mountain summit. From the top, you can see views up to 60 miles away. It's pretty windy up there, and very barren, since it's really just a huge hunk of rock...but it's still lovely to stand up there and look down on the world.

Before we left, Hudson picked out the most perfect "slithering snnnnake" to take with us as a souveneir. This little guy LOVES snakes. Let's hope his infatuation sticks to the stuffed variety. 

Our time at Stone Mountain was packed full of great things...
another day of wonderful summer fun! 

p.s. this wasn't our first journey to Stone Mountain--Will and I visited there in 2007....we look so young!!

24 comments:

Shelby said...

Your pictures are SO beautiful, as always:) It looks like you had a blast!

Shelby xoxo

Alyssa said...

I've never heard or seen anything like Stone Mountain!!! I love your pictures.. might have to make a trip out there sometime ;) Oh, and Hudson is seriously the most adorable (I feel like I've said that to you before), he just always looks like he's having the best time. He'll be so grateful you captured all these wonderful memories.

Cindy P said...

What a fun adventure! I love that it was so interactive and that Hudson had a great time. So awesome! I think it's so fantastic that he got to hold a parrot and that you got pictures of it! He may not remember it when he gets older but at least you can remind him and show him all the pictures! =)

I LOVE how much younger you and Will look back then! So fun!

Meredith said...

Awh, I'm sure Hudson will never forget this.
You guys are such great parents to take him so many places & give him so many fun opportunities!
Plus, that picture of you & Will is so cute :)

larisaa said...

I've never heard of Stone Mountain but it looks incredible! I Would be terrified to stand on top. But i'd do it! Hahaha such adorable family pictures, Ashley! And you guys do look so young!

Mariel Torres said...

What a breathtaking place! I can't believe I had never heard of it before... definitely going on my must-see list :)

Stone Man said...

This was a fun day at the Stone. The Duck was one of my favorite things we did that day. Getting a chance to hear the lady play that pipe organ. All in all Hudson had a blast. Getting to hold the bird and watch Yogi the Bear. It was a fun hot day for all.

Wow how young we looked. Great Pictures Swoop.

LOVE YOU!!!

misc.alaina said...

Your day looks so fun! How awesome that Hudson got to hold the bird! And, that duck ride looks so fun!!
I have never been to Stone Mountain during the day, but love their laser show at night! Also love your flashback photo, so cute!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I loved visiting Stone Mountain. Hated that ride up the mountain though - so scary!! Hudson keeps getting cuter and cuter! Don't worry so do you! Hehe ;)

meghan said...

Do you know that I just don't like stone mountain? I went to school in Atlanta and we would always go on retreats to "climb stone mountain". I saw it so much, and it just kind of weirds me out. How is that massive rock just sticking out of the ground like that? I think I might sound weird right now, but I'm okay with that. Your whole trip there is making me change my mind about how fun it is! I never knew about the duck tours or the shows. I'm sure Hudson had such a wonderful time, and that's so great that he wanted to drive the boat and also got the opportunity to hold the bird! How fun for him. I bet seeing things through the eyes of kids is just the most amazing things. I'm sure it can make the little things seem so big.

Meri said...

Love the last photo! That granite place looks really pretty, and I bet the duck was fun! There's quite a bit of granite in my hometown but not quite that much!

My Journey With Candida said...

I think I have already told you that you find the BEST places to visit.
Hudson looks like he is being so gentle with the bird. He is such a little cutie!!

Emma Frances said...

Hudson is so cute! And this trip looks like it was a blast! How did I not know about this place?! It looks amazing! And I love all of Hudson's outfits!

Candice said...

I love the "now" and "then" contrast!

Courtney B said...

Oh my goodness... what a PERFECT day! I really want to go to Stone Mountain someday now. And I really hope we meet someday. Hudson is so precious and you and Will are the cutest, EVER!

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

your adventures together as a family are always so fascinating! I always enjoy reading about what you are doing together and seeing the beautiful photos of you all. aw.

CarleeJ said...

I am going to Atlanta in about a month! I want to see this so bad now. This looks so amazing!
Carlee

http://almostendearing.blogspot.com/

Jen @ redsolesandredwine said...

Beautiful family photos and adventures - Hudson is adorable and can't wait until my little Grant can enjoy vacations with us. . (he is 11 weeks :)

Red Soles and Red Wine

Amy @ AGirlCalledBeloved said...

Wow! These photos are just so beautiful! What a neat place to visit! And how neat that you had been there together before!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemkaing said...

Oh hudson looks so adorable holing that bird!! Stone Mountain is such an awesome place to see and you all look like you are having so much fun!

jennifer blair said...

What a cool place! We're really not that far, so I think we need to visit now! :)

Cara-Mia said...

You guys go on so many awesome travels! I hope you will always get to, that's such a great thing for Hudson.

And I love the flashback photo. :)

Haley K said...

I absolutely LOVE that I can always count on coming to your blog, and seeing beautiful pictures of your sweet family's adventures (big and small) and also learn things sometimes! Stone Mountain Looks incredible! That etching is breathtaking...and the picture of the people looking so tiny on the rock's edge made my feet tingle! What a gorgeous view from up there though! :)

And Brooks loves Rio too!! I can just imagine our two boys watching it together and shaking their little tale feathers to the music :) What a fun time at the bird show! And those pictures of him cradling Sunrise (that's the name right?:) are ADORABLE.

AND that photo of your and Will's first time there...absolutely loved that sweet flashback! You two are the cutest :)

Janette said...

AWWWW! Happy Anniversary! Is it weird to actually miss someone you've never met???? So strange, but it's been a while since I've visited and I was missing your face! And Hudson's too (of course). I can't say I missed Will's face cause that would be kind of creepy. LOL Anyway.. This place looks incredible...How do you live in such a place with so many amazing landmarks nearby????!!!! I mean, unless you're flying every where on the weekend..But I must say, I do enjoy reading about your many adventures... You take the best pics! For real! Looove them and love youuuuu!!


xoxox,

Janette the Jongleur

PS. 7 years!???? WOWOOWOW! Get out! That's great! Happy for you!