6.10.2012

Cave Kisses in Cathedral Caverns


Hundreds of times we have driven past the sign for Cathedral Caverns, and we never bothered to stop.
But yesterday, Will spontaneously loaded us in the car, and we headed east with this Alabama natural wonder as our specific destination. 

Upon first sight of the cavern, it quickly becomes obvious that the place is pretty spectacular. The opening to the cave has never been altered by man, and it is huge. 128 feet wide and 25 feet high, to be exact. But the awe-worthy sights don't end there. As the light of day fades, the artificial bulbs that guide the way into the depths of the earth reveal an amazing underground world. 

As we trekked more than a mile into the earth, we were surrounded at every turn by the most surreal stalactites and stalagmites. In fact, the cave is home to the largest stalagmite in the world, standing 45 feet tall, which serves as one of the SIX world records that Cathedral Caverns holds.

Hudson loved walking through the twisting cavern, up and down the damp paths. When we came to the infamous rock formation that resembles a grizzled cave man with a club in his hand, Hudson was wonderfully intrigued. His constant inquisitive disposition has him exploring the world in many ways. For example, when he and I are out shopping, I always catch him quietly sneaking over to the mannequins that model the latest looks. He will softly slip his hand into the fashionable figure's hand, and look up at the blank face and smile. He hasn't quite figured out what exactly these strange plastic people are. So, when we encountered the Gentle Giant of Cathedral Caverns, made of rock and standing watch over the passing visitors, I could only imagine what was going through his little mind.

As we stood near the end of the accessible portion of the cave, I suddenly felt an ice cold drop of water plop straight on my head. The tour guide explained that I had been given a Cave Kiss, which is a sign of good luck. Thank goodness it wasn't bat droppings landing in my hair....she said that those would feel like warm water.

Our time in Cathedral Caverns was amaaaaaaaazing.
Enjoying a delightful descent into a magical place
AND leaving with a little bit of good luck?
That's my kind of adventure.

p.s. They also filmed one of my most favorite Disney movies there in 1995....Tom and Huck! Remember it? I know my fellow JTT fans do. ;)

23 comments:

Candice said...

It's funny that you mentioned Hudson's hand holding of the mannequins - I used to do that as a kid. Until one day, one of the mannequins gave my little hand a squeeze back! WELL, I screamed bloody murder and bolted back to my mother who...didn't believe me!!! It took about five minutes of her staring at the mannequin before she realised it was one of those 'statue people' posing as a store mannequin!!

A Rock Man said...

This was fun fun quick little outing. I have seen that sign on the side of highway 72 time and time agin. I was really surprised at the people that were there. As we started in to the cave I watched as Hudson eyes got big and started looking around with awe. I think we all were though. I think Hudson favorite part was the gentle giant or the part when the tour guide turned off the lights and it went to total darkness.

I cant cant wait until or next outing.

LOVE YOU!!!

jeannie said...

Those are awesome pictures. Little Hudson looks so sweet. Glad you all enjoyed it. Another cool adventure!!

My Journey With Candida said...

I love going caving!! Hudson looks a little cold in the one picture. It can be pretty chilly below ground.

Gentri said...

SO SO awesome!! I'm pretty jealous! i would love to go there or cave exploring anywhere at least!

Alicia@eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh this place sound amazing. Love all of the pictures of the cave.

kyna... said...

Coolest place ever!! So glad you blogged about this! I saw the picture on IG and I was anxiously awaiting a full post! Glad you had a great time!
♥ Kyna

Whitney said...

How cool is that place?! Where is it? I'd love to go!

Kyla said...

These caverns are amazing! I visited something similar when I was a kid, but not nearly as magnificent as this. I'm glad you all had a fun time!

Cindy P said...

Awesome! I'm so glad you guys got to go and experience the cavern! And I'm so glad it was just a cave kiss and not bat droppings. That would have been gross!!

I'm really wanting Collin and I to take a trip to Luray, VA and go to the Luray Caverns. I went once in middle school and really want to go back. It was so incredible. And Collin's never been. I don't think he's ever been to a cavern in general. He'd love it!

Amanda said...

Amazing photos! I'm glad you went for the afternoon! Looks like so much fun!

larisaa said...

I haven't been in a cavern since I was little! Probably barely older than Hudson and I remember how amazed I was. I bet he thoroughly enjoyed himself! And a good luck kiss?! So cool! These pictures are so incredible.

Shalyn said...

First of all, I LOVE that this was a spur-of-the-moment thing! That is so fun! All the pictures/your description is wonderful! And how fun that Tom and Huck was filmed there- love that movie!

Susan said...

Somewhere so fun to visit! Might be a good day trip from Birmingham!

Megan said...

Hudson's getting so big! And his hair so long! What a stunning place to be able to see, I'm quite jealous! Haha, you bet I remember Tom and Huck, I must have watched that movie a good 100 times when I was younger.

Mrs. Pancakes said...

how fun...you always give me the best ideas for future events with my little guy! Hudson's curls are too cute!

Meri said...

He's such a curious guy! I love how cuddly he is with both of you guys though in the caves!

O'Melly said...

Hudson is getting cuter and cuter by the minute!

We have a lot of caves around here too, with sulpher springs, etc.

A friend of mine recently found a fossil on the shore line of one of our mountain lakes! It always fascinates me how the earth changes, and how OLD it is!!

Virginie BĂ©langer said...

What a totally rad adventure! I just came back from watching Prometheus, you guys kind of look like you belong in the movie in this great surrounding. Minus the "let's destroy the earth" part of course ;)

Husdon always makes my heart melt, and his little overalls are way too cute!

Virginie xo

Haley K said...

Okay...lots of things I loved about this!

Caves are incredible!! I'm glad you guys went on your spontaneous adventure to explore Cathedral Caverns...and it holds a world record! how cool!

Imagining sweet Hudson holding a mannequin's hand cracked me up ;) What a cutie!!

And oh I'm most definitely a JTT fan! HUGE crush when I was little! How neat Tom and Huck was filmed there!

And yay for good luck cave kisses!

Cara-Mia said...

You always find the coolest spots! This looks like fun. And I loved JTT. :)

Meredith said...

oh goodness, tom & huck was my FAVORITE movie growing up. i had the hugest crush on JTT ;) my mother swore i would hunt him down and marry him when i got old enough haha.

lovely pictures by the way! :)

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

these are great. Reminds me of Howe Caverns in NY, which I went to when I was 2.5 years old and still remember it so well!!!! Maybe Hudson will remember these!