5.23.2012

Just another case of Star-Crossed Love.


Romeo & Juliet.
Jack & Rose.
Bonnie & Clyde.
----
It's a tale as old as time.
There are just some lovers
who, sadly, have relationships doomed by outside forces.
And here we have another unlucky couple to add to the list:
Princess Noccalula and her young warrior beau.

Legend says,
Noccalula was the daughter of a Cherokee Chief in the wilderness of Northeastern Alabama.
Despite her love for a handsome warrior, who belonged to her own tribe,
her father instead arranged for her to marry a Creek Indian Chief....
simply because he offered more bounty for her hand.
Noccalula's dad had her lover banished from the tribe,
and she was forced to ready herself for marrying a man she didn't love.
On the day of the wedding, she dressed herself in the traditional attire,
attended the marriage feast, and sat in on the merrymaking.
But at some point during the day,
she slipped away and wandered through the forest.
She eventually came to a beautiful waterfall
that sat near her tribal home.
Rather than facing a lifetime in a loveless marriage,
she decided to jump to her death.
Her father was so overcome with grief, 
he named the falls in memory of his daughter.



This is Noccalula Falls.
And although the star-crossed love stuff is the pits,
there is no denying that there is something very special about this 
gorgeous spot in North Alabama,
where the rushing falls cascade more than 90 feet,
down down down,
over the ledge of Lookout Mountain and into a lush ravine.

Hudson had the most wonderful time,
due to the fact that a very cute, red choo-choo chugs along
through the park, carrying happy passengers from
one stop to another.

He's also VERY into animals,
as always.
But his new thing is this:
when he sees an animal,
he always says "AwwwWWWW!"
We heard a lot of:
"AwwWWW! A little goat, Mama!"
or
"AwwWWWW look at that sweet kitty cat, Daddy! AwwwWwWWW!".
It's so precious.

Needless to say, we spent quite a bit of time at the petting zoo section,
acquainting ourselves with an abundance of  aww-worthy animals.
I loved the sassy little deer that lived in a little farm habitat with roosters, llamas and goats.
She ate apples, licked Hudson's hand,
and even charged at a billy goat that was a bit 
too close for her comfort. 
Then, outside the barn, Hudson found a "kitty cat".
He is quite in awe of feline friends...
he loves to "pat" them,
and even pretends to be a cat sometimes.
This friendly little Calico kitty really made Hudson's day.

The waterfall and it's accompanying tale of thwarted love?
He'll take it or leave it.
But a cat?
Now that's exciting. 
"AwwwWWWW!"

24 comments:

Angie Mc. said...

What a sad story! But a really pretty place!!! Hudson is adorable in his overalls.

Haley K said...

That story is heartbreaking...I'm so grateful arranged marriage isn't part of our culture. what a beautiful spot though!! Looks like you had a lovely time with Will & Hudson :) and those animals were most definitely aww-worthy! Brooks loooooooves cats. There's a black cat who goes through our backyard every once in a while and Brooks gets giddy every time he spots him :)

oh and Ashley I love your bright shorts and fantastic top! what a purrrrrfect combo :) get it? Sorry i may have taken the cat thing too far ;)

Gentri said...

Always the best adventures. ANd that story, it's beautiful yet heartbreaking.

Kaili Clark said...

There is almost always a sad/solemn story behind the most beautiful places but, I suppose that's what makes them so beautiful? Love this post.

My Journey With Candida said...

Awwwwww... Hudson is adoreable! You always find the best places to go.

jeannie said...

Memories....I am so glad Hudson is visiting places we took you as a child. That is a beautiful place and a sad story. As always good pictures!!!

Shannon @ Bungalow960 said...

Little man is always prepared. I think I should carry chicken strips with me wherever I go. You never know when you might get a snack attack/

Cindy P said...

Such a gorgeous place! Ashley, you really must be encouraging me to make a trip down to Alabama to see you with all these beautiful places you keep taking pictures of! haha! Glad you guys had a great time.

Eva Marie said...

Wow what a story, also grateful arranged marriage isn't popular in our culture..

I love the green and pink combo, you look sweet as can be

jennifer blair said...

Wow. That is quite a story! I heard a similar one about Lovers Leap in Chattanooga. Sad.

You guys are adorable as usual! :)

Faith said...

I've never heard of that story. Makes me sad but I agree that the scenery is amazing. So beautiful.

Loving your pictures, like always.

And I'm absolutely loving your outfit! But honestly I don't know when I don't love it :)

marie said...

Tragic story, but beautiful pictures. And your eyes are crazy beautiful, definitely meant to be photographed.

Rach @ This Italian Family said...

Ashley!! Your outfit is precious! I love it!!

And on a sad note... that story is so tragic. Beautiful, but sad.

Shauna Klippel said...

Touching post. Love the pictures. I love your outfit and I know where you got your shirt, I've contemplated it several times. I love how you wear it. Take care,

Shauna

Meri said...

That is a tragic story, but you are right about the beauty and spirit of the Falls! Lovely post!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

What a sad story but a beautiful place! Your posts never cease to amaze me with the amount of beauty that's in Alabama!

Chief Beadle said...

This was a fun filled trip with a very sad story to go along with it. I heard this story growing up but had never visited this park. So glad we went and made a day of it. I also want to go back and hike down to the bottom of the falls. I said hike not jump. Oh and I know where Hudson got his love for cats. You can tell your blog world that one another day. HAHA Great pictures again.

LOVE YOU!!!

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said...

What absolutely gorgeous pics!

Susan said...

Beautiful shots!

kyna... said...

Hudson is seriously adorable...but what a sad story!
I do love the picnic to go!! Beautiful pictures as always Ashley!!
♥ Kyna

Mrs. Pancakes said...

What a story!! And the back drop is gorgeous!!

Courtney B said...

Your shorts.... I want your shorts! LOVE 'em :)
Oh my goodness... that story! So heartbreaking. But I love all of the history that is intertwined with these beautiful locations. It looks and sounds like you guys had the BEST time here!
Hudson and the animals, SO PRECIOUS!!

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

what a terrible story! Very sad!!
beautiful photos!

Britt @ The Magnolia Pair said...

I am convinced we are going to go there now! Looks absolutely beautiful !! And just googled it and it's only an hour away :)