4.23.2012

Where Trees Talk.


Saturday was cold and rainy, so since we couldn't enjoy the great outdoors,
we decided to take Hudson to a magical place to play.
EarlyWorks is the South's largest hands-on history museum,
and it is a neat little place for kids of all ages to explore and learn.
Our first stop was the talking tree, which had Hudson pretty intrigued.
But, as it told him a story, he decided to keep his distance....
because it was definitely his first experience with a friendly, talkative tree.
-----------------------------------


In Biscuit's Backyard, Hudson had lots of fun in a space specifically tailored to preschoolers.
He immediately ran to the duck pond, because he loves to fish. A few splashes later,
he decided to venture into the hideout to climb around and play.
Then at the barn, he worked with some hay,
checked on the garden, and gathered some eggs.
This place was a dream for our imaginative little guy!
--------------------------------------------



It's not often that I get to watch from a distance as Hudson interacts with other little friends.
When we drop him off at the church nursery, I love catching little glimpses of him playing with his buddies...but those glimpses are only for a few seconds. In Biscuit's Backyard, I was able to stand back and admire my little guy while he ventured out on his own. 

He is a big fan of pretend food and grocery stores, so when he saw the huge market set-up, he made a bee-line for the cash register. He smiled as he handed out apples to little boys that passed by, and my heart melted as I saw him, and his outgoing personality, trying so hard to make a connection with the other little children. He was wanting to interact with someone so badly. He tinkered away behind the counter, then a precocious little girl wandered his way. After she noticed the cash register, she shouted out (to no one in particular) that she wanted Hudson to share, and as he looked on (a bit startled from her tone) she decided to just give him a shove.  Our sweet boy just scooted down, and continued playing
...happy to have a talkative new friend to share his grocery duties.
--------------------------


After his adventures in Biscuit's Backyard, we went past riverboats and lots of legos, where we found 
a replicated Mine, complete with an explosive device. Brave Hudson walked in....ready to detonate,
but the realistic nature of this exhibit was a bit more than he bargained for. After he pressed down the lever, a boom sounded (which startled him), and smoke started pouring out of the rock wall (which prompted him to run). I couldn't help but giggle as my little (usually) fearless boy moved as fast as his little legs could carry him to his Mama & Daddy. But, he quickly got over his fear of the mine, and we blew it up (as a team) a few more times. 
------------------------------------


We had a wonderful day of PLAY...
and the happiness we all felt reminded me that,
as a parent,
I am on one amazing journey,
with the most awesome opportunity to 
nurture and support my child, 
who's mind & body is growing at a rapid pace.

And, I am so thankful that I am sharing this journey
with my sweet husband,
and with my special little Hudson.

We have so much fun ahead.

27 comments:

Virginie Bélanger said...

I LOVE children's museum!!

Didn't we just all use to dream that one day we would be big enough to actually work the cash registrer? Or be a librarian in my case, as a child even the smallest grown up things have such a magical appeal to us...

I can never get over what a little boy Hudson is becoming, and such a delightful one too, that brings so much joy to your beautiful family :)

Kisses from Québec my sweet friend,

Virginie XO

Eva Marie said...

Talk about WONDERFUL! I love places like this for kids and there certainly is not enough. I think it is so sweet he ran for the cash register and started handing out apples, what a sweet boy.

Also I laughed when you said he wouldn't go near the talking tree, not gonna lie it did look a bit freaky hahah. It reminded me of Liv and how shes not so sure about Wolves after my husband read her Little Red Riding hood. We went to the zoo this week and they had Wolves there and she said " I don't talk to strangers.. or wolves" hahah

Bless these sweet little beings :)

jeannie said...

That looked like such a fun day and I know Hudson enjoyed it. He is such a sweet boy and loves children and trying new things. The tree would have scared me!!! I can't wait for the next adventure... Pictures are great!

Chelsea said...

That looks like so much fun! Hudson is really blessed to have such awesome parents :) I'm pretty sure I went to a children's museum last year and spent the whole day there... with no children!

Ana F. said...

I love places like that on rainy days. There's quite a few of them in the Bay Area. My husband and I take the kids that I used to look after to the "Discovery Museum", which looks pretty similar to the one you guys went to. It's so much fun!

Sandy Joe said...

I can't even explain how badly I want to go there! The children's museum in London was so close to my house I would frequent there. I love that tree with the face, it reminds me of the movie Babes In Toyland!

x The Pretty Secrets

Kira said...

Oh goodness, that looks like such a fun place! I want to go!

Victoria said...

What a fun place! And Hudson is adorable! I love that big old grin! And the mine exploding, that's great! :)

Natasha said...

I absolutely love seeing/reading about all your family adventures...of course it makes my life seem a little boring..haha..but it's always nice to dream about living in a place where Vyla could have that much fun!

A Miner said...

Swoop, This was a fun Saturday out. It was so fun and neat to watch Hudson play and interact with other little kids. He just wants to look and check out every little thing he sees. I keep asking myself will our next little adventure be this fun. They just keep getting better and better. I love our outings and us just having so much fun together.

LOVE YOU!!!

Those pictures of Hudson in the mine are great!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

That picture toward the end of him smiling is too adorable!

What a fun place to take a child!

marie said...

I love his sweet old fashioned outfits. When my girls were little I dressed them in smocked dresses constantly. It actually lasted quite a while. Then at about 8 they wanted jeans, sigh.....

Once you become a parent nothing is more fun than watching your kids discover & experience new things.

jennifer blair said...

You are such a fun mom! I remember going to places like this when I was a kid!

Charles said...

great pics as always. i love the shopping cart one! & your outfit is fabulous, great color palette :)
xx

http://wearingwolf.blogspot.com

Meri said...

Looks like a great plan for a rainy day! I love a museum on a rainy afternoon.

Shauna Klippel said...

This is a great place, it reminds me of The Children's Discovery Museum here in down town San Jose. So much fun.

Great pictures of Hudson. He's looking really cute in his vintage overalls. I love it. I also love your outfit. So you. Take care,

Shauna

Ashley Eliza said...

i love all the adventures you and little hudson go on! i hope to be half the mother you are someday! and go to fun museums and such.

i absolutely love his facials. so so sweet. what a sweet little guy he is!

xoxo

Ruby Girl said...

how fun! you guys do such fun things as a fam, and take the darn cutest photos!! xoxo linds of http://www.rubygirlblog.com/

My Journey With Candida said...

What a fun day you had with Hubby and Hudson. You always find such fun things.

Amylou said...

This looks like every kid's dream come true! I especially like the little grocery store. He looks so cute pushing that cart!

rachel said...

i LOVE this! that looks like the coolest place EVER! my absolute favorite thing abotu this is the look on sweet Hudson's face at the cash register. he is concentrating so hard!

what a wonderful, wonderful day!

xo

misc.alaina said...

The museum looks really wonderful! I love Hudson's faces in these photos, both happy and deep in concentration! And, that animation of him running from the smoke is hilarious!! Looks like a very fun way to spend a rainy day!

Laura Elizabeth said...

I love everything about this post! The pictures, the moving pictures, your words. EVERYTHING!!!

I look forward as always to your next adventure :) Have a wonderful day!!!

Janette said...

This looks like soooo much fun!!! I want to play there too! And so glad Hudson found a playmate! Awww! So sweet! But you know, the talking tree is a little creepy! Like majorly!

Janette the Jongleur

monster cakes said...

oh my goodness. he makes me melt. love hearing about how he interacts with other kiddos! I bet that's so sweet to watch. these kind of moments make me excited to have my own family one day. thanks for sharing yours with us!

Courtney B said...

Ah! This looks like an AMAZING place for children to play. It's perfect for their little world :)
You, Will, and Hudson really do have SO much fun together.... I can't wait to read along as you embark on the many adventures! Hopefully, someday, we'll have a couple adventures TOGETHER!

Haley K said...

I always love looking for Will's comments ;) what a sweet hubby/daddy!

EarlyWorks looks incredible, to say the least!!! Love each if the areas and activities you high lighted. Hudson had a blast, I can tell! And what a sweetheart...loved reading about him being kind enough to share his register with that overbearing girl. He's hot a big heart like his mama! And the mine photos and story cracked me up!! I'd be a little nervous about it too ;)

Oh and Ash you're so cute to ask how I keep up with my two littles and keep up with blog friends...let me assure you c there's just a select few that I keep up with now days ;)