3.08.2012

We Built This City

We got to see the theatre production of Rock of Ages...
and it seriously ROCKED. 


This musical is set in the glam '80's.
--the glorious time
of big hair,
big spenders,
androgynous makeup
and outrageous outfits.

The sounds of the show
come courtesy of
the head-banging,
sometimes silly,
songs of the Reagan era.
--think:
Styx,
Journey,
Whitesnake,
and REO Speedwagon.

And the story?
Boy meets girl.
Boy loses girl before intermission.
Boy gets girl just in time for the rollicking final number.
--yeah,
we've heard it before...
but not quite like this.

Coming into it, I wasn't sure what to expect. I've seen the photos from the upcoming movie version of the play (Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx!?!? Yes, please), and I knew that the Constantine dude from American Idol starred in the show on Broadway. I won't lie: I came into it with pretty low expectations. 
But, after the first couple of rollicking numbers, I had a huge goofy smile on my face, and rest of the crowd was clearly along for the fun rock & roll ride, too. 
I had so much fun at this show...the characters were hilarious and heartwarming at the same time. The music was AMAZING...because, really, hair metal in the context of a broadway musical is just sooo much better. By the time the last number rolled around, the whole audience was dancing in the aisles along with the performers....now how often does that happen at the theatre? 

We Built This City by Jefferson Starship on Grooveshark
Rock of Ages is a musical that promises to "melt your face"...and it pretty much accomplishes its mission. 

(cast pic via

26 comments:

Chelsea said...

How fun! I definitely want to see this!

Carlie said...

I saw that play on Broadway last June, and it was amazing! It really is one of the few shows you dance along to, and that the audience gets really involved in!

JRuud said...

So much fun!!! I wish I could've been there :) Gotta love dancing in the aisles !

jordan said...

Ooooh I wanted to see this when it came to Utah so bad! I'm so glad you got to see it and I cannot wait for the movie. REO Speedwagon is my jam.

Melanie said...

Oh how fun! Ya'll are SO cute!

jeannie said...

Oh!! I know you had fun and you looked so cute, I loved the 80's music and the big hair!!!

Cindy P said...

SO fun!!! I want to see this! I love musical! And I LOVE 80's music!

I love how you got into it and rocked the big hair and vest. =)

Also, "We Built This City" is a favorite of mine. It's definitely in my music library and I listen to it quite often. (And sing along at the top of my lungs!)

rachel said...

yes!!!! i felt the SAME way when Scott got us tickets to this for my birthday a couple of years ago....totally NOT expecting to love it! i had the best time ever! and we saw it with constantine!! and vince vaughn was sitting a few rows behiond us too! i was smiling from ear to ear the whole time and when it was over, my cheeks hurt! it is such a fun, feel good, happy show! i'm glad you went and had such a great time! you looked adorable too...totally dressed for the show!

Amber said...

Oh yeah! I went and saw this show in NY with my bridesmaids and we all love it. It was such a good time.

Amanda said...

I'm so so excited about the movie! Like so excited! I'm glad you enjoyed the play! :)

A Dude Born in the 80's said...

Swoop I had such a great time at this show with you. I was the same as you. I did not know what to expect. It as great and you looked beautiful as always.

LOVE YOU!!!

Kira said...

It looks like a ton of fun!

My Journey With Candida said...

What a fun post Ashley!! I love when you go to a musical and it is so GREAT that you start Rocking and Rolling yourself.

The Klippel Family said...

Okay this is awesome for sure. I love everything about the eighties, well, almost everything.

My mom listened to all the greatest of the eighties and the late seventies (ie. Fleetwood Mac) and it's my favorite music of all time. I lOVE IT! This sounds so awesome, glad you had a great time and I love your outfit for the show!!! You look great, as usual.

Take care,

Shauna

misc.alaina said...

That looks like so much fun! Glad it was better than you were expecting. There is nothing better than live stage performances - so much more interactive than screen movies! You look so pretty!!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I kind of want to see this! There were discount tickets last week and i should have bought them!

...And now I have the song stuck in my head lol!

Eva Marie said...

Oooo I totally saw this as well. love you guys :) Wish sean enjoyed more plays,I have to bribe him really, good thing I have a sis and mom who like to go :)

Also love how you dressed to match the show!! You rock girl :)

Haley K said...

What a fantastic night out!! I absolutely love how you & Will make sure to make time for fun date nights :) I would love to see a fun broadway show with my sweets! especially one that involves dancing in the isle :)

Kyla said...

This show looks like so much fun! And I love that you got into the theme with your outfit :) You look great!

Rach @ This Italian Family said...

Fun! I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Meri said...

I love musicals and theater- I've not seen this one yet, but i want to!

Emma Frances said...

You see such cool shows! I love hearing about them and someday I will go to these shows! :]

Rachel Emma (Daydream Frenzy) said...

aww I'm so jealous! And I loved how you looked a little rocker edgy yourself for the show! so cute!

:)
xx

http://daydreamfrenzy.blogspot.com/
http://daydreamfrenzy.blogspot.com/
http://daydreamfrenzy.blogspot.com/

Shalyn said...

OOOHHH I have been so intrigued by this- have I ever told you how OBSESSED I am with 80's music? The movie looks a little raunchy- was this that way or could I get through it without blushing too much;-)?

Cara-Mia said...

I saw the movie trailer and am a bit interested... Seeing it in the theatre sounds so much better though!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

You all are doing so much fun cool stuff!!