2.28.2011

Garden Walking + Oscar Watching

On Sunday, after church, the three of us took a peaceful stroll through the garden. We slipped quietly between the trees and around the blooming gardenias, enjoying a warm breeze and the sight of our little Hudson as he explored the beauty of his surroundings. He stopped to play at a large boulder, tucked between the hedges, and Will told us that when he was a child, he was fascinated with the same rock....which he always called the "Angel's Table".  Our stolen moments in the garden were lovely, and the time we spent enjoying nature further instilled our ever-growing love for the weekends.







By nightfall, we had shucked off our stilettos & Sunday best, in favor of flat shoes & oh-so-comfy clothing. We gathered around the tv, for a night of Oscar Watching. Will and I even filled out awards ballots, for a little friendly competition (I squeaked by and won, but we were tied up until Best Picture. Thank goodness I chose The King's Speech!) . 





After the broadcast finally ended, I was left feeling a little blah. I mean, all in all, there was nothing to complain about, except, well, everything:

-The hosts did not live up to my expectations. (James Franco, I really like you, but why were you so glum & dazed? I guess one young guy can't do it all- writer, artist, movie star, tv actor, student, and Oscar host? And Anne, did you really have to scream "whooooo" loudly into your microphone every time a star graced the stage? Have mercy on my ears.)

-The fashions were boring. (ScarJo, why? Why? With that tragic dress, and fresh out of the shower 'do, you looked like you were going to a house party, not the biggest night in Hollywood. And Reese? Why, oh why did you wear all that fake hair? You're not fooling us, sister.)

-The entertainment was lacking. (Franco in drag? No thanks. Gwyneth as a country singer? An even bigger no thanks.)

On a positive note,  there were a few things that I actually enjoyed: the playful bickering between Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law, the opening sequence, and a few fashionable frocks (Gwyneth's first dress, Mila Kunis in lavender, Natalie Portman in flowing purple, and Anne Hathaway's royal blue dress.)

What did you think about the Academy Awards? Good, bad, or ugly?

33 comments:

kELLO! said...

i LOVED robert downey jr and jude law together. they stole the show for sure. it was refreshing. my favorites were mila kunis' dress and gweneths gold dress, too.
i still like james franco, but anne did bother me a little.

Jeannie said...

I love the story about the "Angels Table" how sweet that another generation is drawn to that same rock. I love Hudson's adorable outfit, just too cute. Love the pictures. Hudson is so sweet in the third pic from the bottom. Those lips and eyes!!!

~ Kelly Ann ♥ said...

I so agree with you about The Oscars--I was so excited to watch it- and it was not as good as I hope it would have been- I love Anne Hathaway but whooooo" in the mircophone was getting old and James was getting annoying not sure why-- LOL

I also LOVED Mila light purple dress- it was Fabulous

The pics of your little boy is so darn cute!!!

Kelly

Diana Smith said...

I couldn't agree more with you!! Oh my gosh Anne was sooo obnoxious!! And yes I don't buy the whole Gwyneth as a country singer! let her husband do the singing! It didn't have the best fashion in years past...oh well can't expect everything!

HettyA said...

His outfits are so adorable! :)

It's A Love Story said...

awww he is so cute!! I love his hair!

The Gists said...

I love the garden! It is one of my favorite places.

Oscar Picker Winner said...

Great Post Swoop. We always have fun after church running through the gym, but yesterday was even better being able to get outside in the Church garden. As for the Oscars. I don't know that I have ever watched them all the way through. If it were not for our little game I would not have watched last night. Its just so long a boring. I still can't believe I won by 2 points!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOVE YOU

Haley K said...

Sounds like a lovely sunday afternoon! How sweet that your husband gets to share a childhood memory with your son :) You got some gorgeous photos!! And I didn't watch the Oscars, but I did look up some of the fashion...my favorites were Amy Adams, Michelle Williams, and sweet little Hallee Steinfeld :)

Brooke said...

What a great day. I thought they were boring but I LOVED Natalie's dress. It was so pretty :)

Jennifer said...

I for one didn't watch much of the Oscars :( however I did see one of my very favorite actresses, Cate Blanchett- and I think she looked beautiful!! Her dress was a little...unique? But I think she could make a black trash bag look gorgeous!

Megan said...

Hudson looks like a handsome doll.


And i literally agree with everything you said about the oscars.

Kat said...

aww! hes soo adorable!

katslovefashion.blogspot.com

Staley Mc said...

How precious! And you always look so chic! I felt the same way about the Oscars, I thought James and Anne were going to do a better job.

Angie said...

I didn't watch them *gasp* oh my goodness!!! A friend of mine did post on Facebook that many of the winners didn't thank God in their speeches but that doesn't surprise me..saddens me but I'm not shocked... I love your well-written description of your Sunday stroll in the garden..makes me wish we lived closer!! Happy Monday sweet girl!

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

James Franco seemed like he was not all there last night. Like really? Come on guy.

Shalyn said...

Love those pictures of you guys in your Sunday best- so beautiful! I want to frolic in a garden! ha

I will have you take your word on the awards, although I did see my girl Reese and you know I have to defend her. I thought she looked gorgeous;-)

Eva Marie said...

I agree with all of what you said about the oscars (scar jos hair? what the heck happened)

Hudson is just oh too sweet in that outfit.. I want one

Kinsey Michaels said...

Hudson's outfit is way too cute in those garden photos!!!
I was at a bar while the Oscars was on, so it was funny that I could see what was going on, but couldn't hear anything. I heard a lot of the same remarks about James Franco! I guess they won't be hiring him as a host next year.

vanessa said...

i didn't get to watch this year...looks like i didn't miss much! i love hudson's outfit in the first photos! so adorable. :)

Sophie said...

Hudson is just beautiful in his sunday best. the cutest little face ever. i love your skirt too!
and i agree with you on all the oscars stuff! bit of a let-down in all aspects really. but love your ballets though, they are awesome haha x

Chelsea said...

what an adorable little outfit! love those pics.

the awards were ok. i liked robert downey jr and jude law. they should have hosted it. they were funny. Gweneth paltrows dress was amazing.

Natasha Solae said...

Aw your baby is adorable!!!

I skipped the Academy/Oscars. All I cared about was the fashion this year anyways.

I just saw the earrings in your last post..The feather earrings are sooo cute!

xoxo

Susana said...

The Academy Awards are interesting in the sense they provide me with some good movie recommendations, however, there are many brilliant gems that are overlooked and we must dig for ourselves. I didn't see many of this year's Oscars movie so I have to get on to that! :)

The first pictures in the garden are so pretty ^^

Ashley Eliza said...

im SOOo mad i missed them. i have been reading all about them online today.. and maybe i will watch aprt of it. but oh dear to some of the dresses!! your sunday sounds absolutely perfect :)

xoxo

Krystal said...

aw, you got some really good pictures! I didn't get to watch the oscars :( but learning all about it from blogs!

Mariel Torres said...

these pictures are just precious!

Rach said...

As always, precious shots!

I didn't see the Oscars - I still need to catch up on highlights

renee kristine said...

i'm sure i am not the first, nor will i be the last to say; i just saw your interview over at scenic glory- and i'm in love hahaha. i look forward to going through your old posts and seeing what new things are coming your way!

Renee

babygeisler.blotspot.com

Charles said...

how adorable! peter pan collars are just about one of the best things ever. so cute.
xx

http://charlesbgoode.blogspot.com

Charles said...

oh also, I'm now following your blog and would love for you to follow mine if you like :)

christa morris said...

hudson is adorable! and you are absolutely beautiful!

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

Everything is better with Robert Downey Jr. haha but that's because I've seen over 60 of his films and am too fond of his acting. I think he and Jude Law should present the awards next year!!

I love tha garden that you are walking in. I wish there was a garden behind my church and such. so sweet.