1.11.2011

Seven Things- Little Ashley Version

Readers beware....potentially embarrassing pictures ahead.

My friend Linley of Dwelling and Telling tagged me to share seven things about myself during my school years. I couldn't help accepting this challenge...doesn't everybody like to take a jaunt down memory lane?




{ONE} I'm an early student of the Arts.
I started dance lessons and piano lessons at age five! Loved piano, but didn't love tap, jazz or ballet.
{TWO} I'm a member of a dying breed.
In the tradition of a true Southern girl, I'm a baton twirler. There's nothing I loved more about high school than friday nights spent performing as a majorette at our football games.
{THREE} I'm a Jeep girl. 
I got my Jeep Wrangler Sahara for my sixteenth birthday, and still have it today. I loved cruising around as a teenager with the top down, and a load full of friends. By senior year, as a straight A student, I even skipped school (shhhhhh. don't tell.) with my girlfriends to go out and mud ride. I mean, I had to show all those boys and their big trucks how it was done!
{FOUR} I'm a victim of 80's fashion.
Crimped hair? Check. Bad Bangs? Check. Huge HairBow? Check. Oversized Sweatshirt? Check. Leggings? Check. That's pretty much a recipe of a walking fashion disaster.
{FIVE} I love Italy.
As a senior in high school, my parents were wonderful enough to send me on a truly fabulous trip to Italy. I visited Venice, Rome, Florence, Assisi, and Milan. I saw The David and hundreds of other amazing art masterpieces. I was part of a crowd at the Vatican that was blessed by Pope John Paul II. I ate my fill of gelato. I was temporarily detained by two Swiss guards by accidentally showing my shoulders in the Vatican City. (Don't worry, I wasn't put in Italian prison or anything. I just was stopped outside the Vatican while the guards reminded me to put on my sweater.) I was bumped by a tiny Italian car as a crossed the busy streets of Venice. I went fully clothed to a nude beach. I stood where Julius Caesar once stood, inside the overwhelming beauty of the Roman Ruins. Yep, it was one wonderful and memorable trip.
{SIX} I'm a heartbreaker.
I broke up with my long-time boyfriend the morning after Prom. Whoa. What a cold hearted snake, right? He cried, I rejoiced.
{SEVEN} I've got spirit. Yes I do. I've got spirit. How 'bout you?
I had school spirit. I participated in spirit week all four years of high school, whether it be dressing up like our rivals or painting my face white for Senior Day. I led the homecoming parade. I even played powder puff football, and tackled some girls, too. Fun stuff. 

Thanks for tagging me, Linley. I enjoyed reminiscing and I can't wait to see the seven things of some more of my blog friends....so I tag Haley, Lula, Shalyn, Ashley, Mrs. Miller, Jenni, and Lisa D.

So spill it, girls! Let's hear about your younger years!

25 comments:

Brooke said...

This was so fun! Can't wait to see everyone elses!

Haley K said...

With every set of wicked, cool photos (trying to use some old school lingo here) the grin on my face got bigger and bigger!! I loved this Ashley! And while we all fall prey to past fashion trends, you remained one GORGEOUS girl! I loved how you had (and have) such a zest for life :) from music to mud riding to bursting with school spirit...i love it all.

And i'm excited to take part is this awesome little challenge :) thanks for thinking of me!

Mrs. Miller said...

super cute! i'll have to dig out some old photos and scan them in! lol heartbreaker :)

Eva Marie said...

love the trip down memory lane - you are (were) GROG!

Alaythea said...

We have a Jeep Sahara, that same color. It's 10 years old but we LOVE it and it's the car my hubby and I dated in when we first met (I was 14 and he was 17!). Who knew years later we would get back together, get married and have a baby!!! Oh, and I broke up with one of my boyfriend right after Valentine's Day - lol! He cried and I rejoiced too! Too funny!

Kristen said...

Love these photos & the accompanying notes, so adorable! I've got to get started on my 7 things tonight.

You have always been so gorgeous! Lucky girl. :)

Klove said...

So cute...I'm jealous you can twirl a baton. I've always wanted (and pretended) to. XOXO

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

HAHAHA why did you break up with your boyfriend? I can't believe you rejoiced unless with really good reason. haha. too funny. I'm a Jeep girl too and own a Liberty but always have wanted a Wrangler like from The Dukes of Hazzard T.V. show.

Diana Smith said...

I love all of those pictures! You are so gorgeous and were then too!

Cole said...

This is so cute! My younger self would definitely be jealous of your younger self for 2 reasons.
1. You twirl batons
2. You had crimped hair, I begged my mom for a crimped perm but was always denied.

Pixie in Pumps said...

hahaha... you look so Loralie Gilmore in that picture of you with your jeep!

And I hear you... I was such a heartbreaker too, but I'll save the explanation for my post! Thanks for tagging me!

Cara-Mia said...

Loved this post!! So fun to see this. I especially enjoyed reading about your trip to Europe. Lucky girl. :)

thedemuremuse.com said...

love these photos!! i wouldn't call you a snake for breaking up with your longtime boyfriend if you weren't happen. gosh, you twirl that baton and go for what makes YOU happy! (kinda sorry he cried, but i mean... at least he had a hot date to the prom!)

Chelsea Lane said...

I love this Ashley! I ADORE Jeeps, I dream of an all black one <3 such a fun post!

xoxo

Alessandra said...

It's been so fun reading everyone's school years seven things. Such a great way to get to know you better, especially that you love Italy (my home). Such funny stories and great memories.

thisitalianfamily said...

How cute are you! Love it!

Alycia (Crowley Party) said...

love love love this little flashback :)

Megan said...

how fun!! That leotard is.uh-mazing. I too suffered from crimped hair, horrific bangs, oversized sweatershirts (i wore my moms that were bedazzled with some amazingness) and switched off different colored leggings...tragic.

The Prince's Heart you did not break said...

This is a great post Swoop. I love to see pictures of you from back in the day. I see allot of the same faces today as you made then. Thanks for not breaking my heart.

I LOVE YOU

Jeannie said...

Ashley, these pictures bring back wonderful memories. You went from a skinny little girl(with crimped hair, leggings, sweatshirt) to a beautiful young lady and I enjoyed every step of the way.

jenna ♥ a little blue said...

awe just found your blog, and this was an amazing post. loved all the pictures :)

Law Mama said...

These are so cute! I played powder puff too -- but I don't have any pictures of it. Oh well. You're so cute!

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Ahhhh! How fun. Oh good ol' 80s fashion!

Amy said...

What a great post! I love the crimped hair, I sure do miss doing that haha! And shame on you for that break up on prom! Yikes!
Happy Hump Day darlin'!

Shalyn said...

Oh man, have you ever not been stunning in your entire life? I think not. And just so you know- You are now my favorite person for loving Jeep Wranglers. My DREAM car would be a lifted Jeep Wrangler!