12.30.2010

We didn't start the Fire...it was always burnin' since the world's been turnin'!


{LISTEN: Sunshine by Matt Costa}

The Winter Solstice Bonfire is a yearly tradition for Will and his friends. This annual event signifies the celebration of the shortest day of the year, and the most instinctual urges of the human kind: gathering together in the heat of a light in the darkness, huddling in the happiness of camaraderie. Although the earth was tilted on its axis that night, very far away from the burning sun...we felt full of warmth and happiness, thanks to the magnificent bonfire.

Hudson and I bundled up in layers and layers of warm clothes, so that we could join the party for a little while. Luckily, our friends Lisa and Andrew had come into town to enjoy the event, so they dropped by to get Hudson and I, and we went to the bonfire together. By the time we arrived, the party was in full swing. There's something about the cold December night air combined with the crackling sparks of the majestic fire that creates a hypnotizing atmosphere of enchantment. The fire causes the full grown men to transform into the inquisitive boys that stay hidden deep inside their hearts for much of the year....taking turns throwing wood on the fire to see who can create the biggest flame, heckling one another, and laughing their heads off. Eventually, the hyperactivity slows down, and you find yourself standing around the beautiful sight in silence, hearing nothing but the chirp of crickets in the woods and the snapping of burning wood. It's times like these, in the still of the night, that I find myself reflecting on the happiness of my life. All the love I feel for my little family, and all of my friends, too....even the ones that couldn't be there at the grand gathering.

This was Hudson's first year at the Winter Solstice Bonfire. I loved watching him as he stared at the enormous display of heat and power, looking deeply into the fire's burning heart. He stayed a safe distance away, wrapped in the warmth of our arms, solemnly regarding the blaze. 

The bonfire was beautiful this year. Hypnotic. Joyful. Mysterious. And lots of fun.

Although Hudson and I were enjoying ourselves, we pulled ourselves away, out of the cold and into a different kind of warmth...the toasty confines of our favorite Italian restaurant. We left the guys behind to party the night away, which they did wholeheartedly. I couldn't help but laugh at the grainy cell phone footage Will texted me later: all of the guys around the fire, singing Christmas carols and baying at the moon.  







26 comments:

Diana Smith said...

What a fun tradition!! Thats so cool that you guys can go do that!

kelly ann said...

your blog is TOO CUTE, oh my goodness. your son is absolutely precious! i love his owl hat. :)

Nancy aka Chubby Piggy said...

OMG Baby Hudson is soooo adorable! He's the cutest owl ever!

In My Tennis Shoes said...

Great tradition!! It looks that it was one rock'n party and GREAT fire! cute photos in front of that blaze too! :D

thedemuremuse.com said...

that bonfire is HUGE! how did this tradition start?

also, the photo of your family in front of the fire is amazing. Hudson looks adorable in his little owl hat! hehe

Jeannie said...

OMG! Hudson is adorable.

Meri said...

What a cool tradition! My birthday is on the winter solstice so perhaps I need to step things up a bit...
The owl hat is super, super cute too :)

vintch said...

what a fun event for hudson to grow up around! i love his bewildered expressions. like you, i believe i would have retreated to a little italian restaurant if the opportunity presented itself:) it's always so beautiful to watch little hudson grow! thank you for sharing with us:)

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

How fun, I love bonfires!

Bonfire Man said...

This was a great night. Hudson could not take his eyes off the fire. He was so amazed by it. I was glad Andrew and Lisa could make it over. Sorry I could not make the trip to Ricatoni's.

Your moms comment made me laugh. "OMG" Have you heard that McDonald's commercial?

LOVE YOU and why is there always a picture where I look mad?

Brooke said...

FUN! Look at him in his overalls... so cute!! I love your title too :) Great song!

lindsay said...

this is so much fun...i love this tradition!

and look at little hudson and his cute owl hat...i love that!

well miss...it is pretty obvious that you are super fantastic and beyond amazing....sooo today i present you with a stylish blogger award!

stop by my little corner to see what it is all about :)

xoxo

ps yes yes i think you are fabulous...there i said it :)

Noodles and Waffles said...

What a fabulous bonfire!

Sands said...

Oh this is such a cool tradition... and it must have been even more special this year because it was Hudson's first! Yay! And can I just say... you and your friend Lisa look like you could be sisters? You guys look so much alike! Everything from your sleep hair to your smiles! :P

xo
Sealverland

thisitalianfamily said...

You are SUCH a talented writer! I felt like I was there as I read about it.

And I LOVE this tradition! Such a great idea! :)

Mimi said...

I love traditions like these and wish my hubs and I had more of 'em! Hudsons owl hat is really unbearably cute!!!

Shalyn said...

Bonfires are one of my very favorite things- SO FUN! What an awesome tradition- gorgeous photos, as usual:-)

Vic said...

beeeee-uuuuu---teeeeeee-ful. so so pretty and warm and cozy.....how great to be surrounded by this, family and friends and it's so true that the crackling of the fire just gives you a sensation that feels great! your words in this post are amazing, gorgeous! happy new year...what a cutie! love the overalls!

Meredith said...

the babe? is adorable.
chubby cheeks do something to me,
i just can't help it.
cuuuuh-yuuuuut.

Becca [Free Honey] said...

I love Hudson's owl cap, I wonder if they make it in my size (is that so wrong?!). This sounds like a wonderfully fun tradition, glad you and Hudson got to enjoy some of it too! Have a very happy new year!

Mrs. Miller said...

looks like fun!

Klove said...

Those pictures are amazing! XOXO

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Wow looks like so much fun. What a great tradition.

Chelsea Elizabeth. said...

That sounds like such a fun tradition! And I love little Hudon's little owl hat! Haha. :)

<3Chelsea Elizabeth

teamBoo said...

What a terrifying fire to turn your back on ;)

shopgirl said...

Looks like a great tradition. Love the owl hat!

Rambles with Reese