12.21.2010

Use Your Imagination

{Listen : Elf's Lament - The Barenaked Ladies}

In the middle of our living room, there is a pretty magical place. Although it's pretty unassuming from the outside, all kinds of enchantment take place inside. 

Upon entering the little square door, you can smell  the entrancing scent of hot chocolate and candy canes. Tinsel hangs from the rafters, and there are boughs of holly in every corner. Toys of all kinds are created there. Tricycles, and trucks, and cuddly teddy bears fill the floor. 

It's the Happy Elf Workshop. And it's brought to you in all it's charming glory by the power of imagination. 

 I believe that Hudson's imagination was hard at work as he discovered the fun of his very own makeshift Elf Workshop. Before he ever set foot inside the tiny cardboard structure, he inspected it carefully...peeking into each of the geometrically shaped windows that his dad had carved with care. Soon, he had warmed up to the idea of having a special "Hudson-sized" playhouse, and began to crawl in and out, smiling up at us through the openings. His teddy bear and snuggly Christmas elf joined him in his play place, and I couldn't help but laugh as I saw the poor elf fly out the circular passage, thrown haphazardly by the cutest little chubby hand. 














The Elf Workshop offered Hudson a few fabulous hours of fun on a frigid December day...and seeing his little imagination at work filled me with happiness and thoughts of all the fun we have ahead of us. 

Merry Christmas! Only FOUR more days left!

18 comments:

Cara-Mia said...

So cute! I bet Christmas is SO much more fun once you have children, right?

(& my favorite part about Christmas parties is the food, too! Haha.)

morgan. said...

haha, im always melted by the cuteness of your posts.

M. said...

Those photos are simply adorable!
love your blog!
I follow!
love
M.

In My Tennis Shoes said...

i can rememer my mom coming home from work and bringing these huge cardboard boxes! my siblings and i were enthralled and play for hours... our imagination would run wild! thanks for the reminder!

vintch said...

there are quite a few adorable things in this post. chiefly, hudson's face. every single cute part of it! second, that playhouse! third, that his sweet daddy made it for him. there's nothing more beautiful.

i LOVE this and i love the idea of homemade presents. the love and handiwork that went into making that playhouse is evident in hudson's smile alone:) happy tuesday!

Sands said...

OMG, did you make that little "workhouse"? PRICELESS! And Hudson looks so cute in it. Awwww, that's all I can say, awwwww! :P

PS: Thanks for sharing that awesome music, it totally put me in Christmas spirit (finally)! I'm going to go put on my reindeer headband and start dancing, haha!

xo
Sealverland

Jeannie said...

Cancel Christmas!!! Hudson has a cardboard box. There is something about cardboard boxes that children love, you would play for hours with one. Those pictures are so cute, his sweet little face with those rosy cheeks, those precious little hands. Just a bundle of love.

lindsay said...

this is absolutely too cute for words :) i love this post lovely lady :) hudson is just so adorable...and look at that outfit...fabulous!!! xoxo ♥

The Workshop Maker said...

This is such a great little post Swoop. I can remember playing for hours in a box, but come to think. Was it really a box or a magical place that I was in? Either way I loved it as it sounds like you did to according to your moms post.

LOVE YOU AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Mo Pie, Please said...

So incredibly cute!!

Diana Smith said...

You are such an awesome mom!! I love that idea...seriously so cute. I can't wait till Olivia is older and we can do things like this!

Kristen said...

This might be my favorite Hudson post yet. That little hippo outfit is too cute!

And he's a pretty lucky guy to have such thoughtful and imaginative parents too. :)

abehel said...

Oh Hudson!That looks like fun. Boxes are the most fun toy ever! You are such a sweet little elf. I love you! g-auntK

oomph. said...

isn't it amazing what a cardboard box can do?! i made a playhouse for my son a while ago with the same...windows, flaps, hung a little light in there, decorated the walls. he loved it.

rockoomph.blogspot.com

Virginie's Cinema said...

That card board box just took me back to my babysitting days (flash back alert!), I'm sure Hudson had such a good time :)

And congrats on the blogging award super lady, it's totally deserved!

bethani said...

if it weren't for cardboard boxes.. :)

also his little pajamas are sooo cute...

Melanie said...

OH MY GAWD. That little hippo outfit+his little cheeks make my heart absolutely melt.

Melanie@UnravelledThreads
Follow @UnraveldTreads on Twitter!

Bridget said...

so cute!!!