12.06.2010

Scary Times and Blessings.

Last night, around 11:00 p.m. we found ourselves in a place we most definitely did not want to be with our sweet boy. A place where plastic ankle bands are checked, and families huddle together in worry and hope. 
The Emergency Room.
Hudson had been sick all weekend, beginning Friday night. What we thought was just a runny nose, quickly progressed to a full blown cold. He got hardly any sleep on Friday, and on Saturday he had developed a fever of 102.7. We treated him with lots of love and snuggles, chicken noodle soup, and a dose of infant's Tylenol every 4 hours. On Saturday, he seemed to sleep a little bit better, but the fever remained overnight. By late Sunday afternoon, our happy little guy had become uncharacteristically mellow, almost lethargic. He rarely sat or stood on his own, didn't want to play, and it took all the energy he could muster to pull his little head away from my chest so that he could turn his droopy eyes up to look at me, wordlessly pleading for me to help the pain go away. 

Last night at 8:30, his fever had risen to 103.6. We put him in his second lukewarm bath of the day, and continued the dosage of Tylenol in hopes that we could bring his fever down. I immediately called his pediatrician's office, leaving a message for a triage nurse to return my call. By 10:00, things had taken a turn for the worse. His fever had spiked to 104.6 degrees. After speaking with the nurse, she advised us to take him to the ER. 

I won't lie. I was scared to death. We have been blessed since Hudson's birth, aside from 3 ear infections last winter, he has never had any health problems. Nor has he ever had a fever over 102 degrees. Our poor little guy was truly sick, and all I could do on that short drive to the hospital was pray that everything would be okay. 

After a few tests, and a unsuccessful dose of Motrin, that he didn't ingest but instead vomited up, we finally lowered his fever. While we were there it went down to 103 degrees, and by the time we left, thanks to a shot of Rocephin in his chubby little thigh, his temperature had dropped back to a normal reading of 98.6 degrees. The doctor concluded he had two painful ear infections and an upper respiratory infection. By 12:30 a.m., they had sent us on our way, and we all felt much better. Hudson was able to rest peacefully, and Will and are were able to breathe a sigh of relief that our little boy had been diagnosed with something treatable, something we could handle with antibiotics. 

And on our way home from the hospital, I continued to pray. This time, thanking God for watching over us. 

Today, Hudson has continued to feel much better.

24 comments:

abehel said...

Oh Hudson, you sweet little thing. I am so sorry you are sick. I pray that you will be back to normal soon. Love and hugs to you, g-aunt K

The Gists said...

So glad Hudson is ok! I hope he feels better soon!!!

Fashion Momma said...

For the love... I am bawling my eyes out right now, just from reading this and thinking of how terribly afraid I was when I had to take my baby girl to the hospital when she was just 2 weeks old. Only a parent could understand how terrifying it is to want your baby to be okay, when he/she is clearly not. But now, Hudson is okay! And I'm so thankful for that and proud of how calmly you handled the situation all weekend. I'd have been hysterical and someone would have had to tranquilize me. I'm nuts that way. I'm going to keep praying for him to be 100% soon!

Tanya Turi said...

I know little Hudson will be 100% healthy real soon. I'm thinking just the happiest thoughts for you! Blessings friend.

Robin said...

Poor Hudson! I'm so glad he is ok now!

Lisa D. said...

Oh my gosh! I'm sorry to hear you all had a rough weekend. I'm glad that everything is okay now. I hope you find some time to relax and sneak in some extra sleep this week...and Hudson, too. Hope he's completely better soon. Ear infections are the worst!

~Lisa

Liz said...

Thank you, Lord, for modern medicine! I hope your sweet little boy is better soon. And that Mommy & Daddy can rest easy. (Love your blog all over the place, btw)

Jeannie said...

Hudson, I was so concerned about you last night. I am so thankful you could go home and sleep in your bed. I love you, hope you are back to your sweet self soon.

Alaythea said...

Poor you! I know the feeling....for the past year we've been dealing with repeated kidney infections with my daughter, the last one put her in the hospital with a 104 fever. She ended up on IV's, later one she ended up with two really scary procedures and later surgery. It was SO scary everytime. Seeing her in pain, seeing her scared....I know that feeling all too well. I'm so glad your little mister is feeling better now!

a. harms said...

Oh my goodness. Nothing is worse than a sick child. I will say a pray that your little man continues to feel better and get better.

thegoodgirlgoneblog.com said...

Oh no, what a terrible experience. I'm so glad Hudson is starting to feel better!

thedemuremuse.com said...

Ashley! I'm so sorry to hear about the scare you had with Hudson. I'm so glad to hear he's ok. What a little champ he is, putting up with needles and such. I hope he's feeling much better today and is back to his regular cheery self soon! xo

Calm but Worried Daddy said...

Well I am so glad my little buddy is feeling better today. I did enjoy him walking over to me amd crawling up in the chair only to fall asleep on my chest. I look forward to this happening again only next time just be worn out from playing so hard and not sick.

Brooke said...

oh my goodness! I'm soooo glad everything is okay! Poor little guy. I really hope he's feeling better - he looks so sad in those pictures! I hate that feeling when you have no idea what's going on and as a mother, we usually do so when we're just frazzled it's crazy!!

Haley K said...

O that would be terrible! I thought we had it bad with my little guy having the sniffles and a cough... As a mom you just want to take it away from them and have it yourself instead. I'm SO glad Hudson is doing better and on the mend *whew* :)

Jill @ TheLadyBoard said...

That is so scary!! I'm so glad he's okay!!

SJ said...

I'm glad to hear Hudson is okay! How scary!

Natasha said...

Awww...your poor little guy! We have been so lucky that Vyla has never been sick with anything...I dread that day!
I'm so glad Hudson is going much better...I can imagine how horrible you guys were feeling.

Kristen said...

Aww, poor little guy! I'm glad he's doing better. I can only imagine how scary that must be.

kimmie said...

Oh my goodness, that is SO scary! I hope he gets better quickly! :(

Alessandra said...

awww, poor little guy and so scary for mom & dad. Glad to hear he's doing better. Take care.

Mei said...

Finally a blog about home & family!
And oh noo poor little Hudson o: !!
Glad he's doing better! xxx

Cara-Mia said...

Oh my gosh, I am so glad to hear that it's nothing TOO serious & that they got the fever down!! Poor baby. :(

kelsey williams said...

i can't even imagine! :( poor baby. i'm glad he's feeling better now!