12.13.2010

Here comes the cold.


Here comes the cold. Break out the winter clothes, & find a love to call your own.

So, this post may or may not contain my second John Mayer reference this week. But that's okay, right? Bad boys need a little love, too. 

The cold has certainly arrived here in North Alabama. Yesterday we saw fun little snow flurries from morning 'til night...but not a drop stuck on the ground, despite below freezing temperatures. Today we woke up a very frigid 19 degrees, and it didn't get much warmer. 

It's beginning to feel a LOT like Christmas! And one of my favorite things about Christmas is Christmas Lights. As a child, I can remember piling into the Jeep with my family and driving through beautiful, historic downtown Huntsville to gaze at the magical display of christmas lights and magnolia wreathes that hung on the lovely, majestic homes. I would pile in the back, bundled up, and request that we listen to the (original) Mariah Carey Christmas cd. And as we drove through the winter wonderland, I would sing along to "All I Want for Christmas is Youuuuuuu", probably while dreaming of a silly junior high crush and driving my parents crazy with my out of tune warbling.

Last night, my lovely little family of three went on our own little Christmas light tradition. There's this house that is out in the country, sort of off the beaten path. Each year the nice folks that live there create a fabulous array of thousands of lights and life-size nativities and Christmas creatures. You drive right through their property, and take it all in. Will started taking me there when we were dating, and we have, of course, enjoyed sharing this excursion with our little Hudson. Last year, he didn't really notice the lights, but he did this year...he looked out the windows and said "oooooh" with that sweet, tiny voice of his. Instead of listening to Mariah's original cd, we listened to her new holiday hits, which are just as great. And instead of dreaming of a silly crush, I dreamt of the fun life ahead of me with this fabulous family of mine.







28/30

25 comments:

Brooke said...

oh my goodness! look at all those lights. I love your outfit too :)

Sands said...

Awww I love Christmas lights too! Those decorations are divine! And so is your cute little outfit ;)

PS: Hudson's a cutie!!! ;)

xo
Sands

Jeannie said...

You look so cute but a little chilly. Sweet Hudson doesn't look too happy. Those people go all out with the decorations. Pretty!

Kendra said...

Love this look! It's one of my favs along with outfit #2 and #8! I can't wait to go looking at christmas lights...one of my fav things to do this time of year. Good luck with your last 2 outfits...rock it gurl!

Best Foot Forward said...

Aww my family used to do something similar when I was a little kid. Hudson will always remember it as one of your family traditions. Also, love the outfit...you're almost at the finish line!

thedemuremuse.com said...

i'm so glad you decided to get out of sweats for this outfit! (haha i saw your tweet, was about to reply and then realized i've been sitting around in sweat pants all afternoon... whoops!)

how cute is that button up? definitely loving the military-esque feel. it looks great paired with the skirt and boots too. a more feminine take on the military look?

i think i might end up baking for a lot of people. no time to shop or wait for orders to be shipped! :(

Chic Therapy said...

lovely pictures

Lisa D. said...

I love this outfit! You look like the Christmas Color Guard. Did you choreograph a marching routine with that flag? :) It snowed here today, too, and it was pretty neat. It never snows here. :) I love all the lights, too! I live in a condo, so I don't get to see many cool lights. Maybe I should go neighborhood stalking and see if I can find some good ones... Do you think random strangers with pretty lights would mind if I started snapping photos of myself in their yards?

Amy said...

Such amazing eyelashes you have! We have a really neat light display at a house nearby too! I love going there! We too drive through their yard and they even have a drop off for Toys for Tots! It's such a cool way of giving back. Happy Holidays love!
Ps. Now following ;)

Linley said...

we have the same thing back in my hometown (the one person who goes ridiculously all-out with the lights). which i think is so wonderful for the children (young and old...). And one of my all time fav things about christmas is everyone loading up in the car and going to look at decorated houses! love it!

Ashley [Free Honey] said...

I love Christmas lights too! One of my least favorite thins about living in nyc is that so few homes, errr apartment buildings are decorated. I miss seeing how all the neighbors decorate! Your army-inspired outfit is adorable, as is Hudson! You must hear it all the time, but those cheeks! Meh!

xoxo, Ashley

Kayraheart.fashion said...

awwe...love this outfit..so adorable..love ur hat and the boots and gorgeous christmas pictures

the light finder said...

I love this Christmas tradition of ours.

Diana Smith said...

John mayer is my first love, don't tell my husband that though haah. Love your outfit! And those lights look so fun!

Lisa said...

We love the Wright's Farm Christmas lights in Spring Valley, too! Landon really got a kick out of them last year, and we are going to take him and my niece this Thursday! There is actually a story behind why they go all out with the decorations - you may already know - but if not I will tell you one day soon! It has to do with their daughter who has a disability. Very heartwarming - and makes for a great family tradition by all! Glad Hudson enjoyed the lights!

{av} said...

Don't feel shame in the second John Mayer reference...I love it! I also love all these Christmas lights :) so so festive! I can't wait to have a house to decorate...happy Tuesday! xoxo {av}

e.day said...

wow! that is a super intense street. i love it. and your outfit is super cute!

Alexa Mae said...

I really adore you and your super sexy eyelashes! Not fair. You are a doll! Great pics! I am a little jeal...okay SUPER jeal that it is cold there. We are bracing a mean 80 degrees here in Arizona this week. BOoO!

prettyinpdxstyle said...

How cute are you?! Love the outfit. And driving around looking at Christmas lights is one of my favorite childhood holiday memories too! :)

Cara-Mia said...

Wow, that house goes all out for Christmas! How fun! I do love lights, too.

19 degrees?? If it were that cold I'm sure I'd be bundled up in the biggest most hideous jackets. I don't know how you guys brave the cold! ;)

thegoodgirlgoneblog.com said...

Love the photos of the lights!

Kat said...

these pics are soo cute! love your outfit! you have a great blog!

im going to follow you.
i hope you can follow me back ^-^

katslovefashion.blogspot.com

vintch said...

could you BE any more adorable? your eyes are stunning, girl! LOVE this post-oh my goodness the lights! we live out in the middle of nowhere and the closest we get to a light show is a string of icicle lights strung along a rooftop:) so, so pretty! they are almost---ALMOST--as bright and spectacular as YOU:)

Chelsea Lane said...

ashley I JUST put together a post on military style! you fit right in ;) those boots are soso cute!

xoxo

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Great outfit! I love Christmas lights. Maybe I'll drive around this weekend to see some houses.