12.12.2010

The Heart of Life is Good

{via}

Inevitably, I sometimes find myself a little down and out. 

Sometimes something small happens that hurts my feelings. Other times something a little bit bigger happens that makes me cry.

 It's times like these that I seek solace from hurt. It's times like these that I look for inspiration...words that will somehow put things into perspective. 

And if I'm lucky, by a tiny little twist of fate, I am somehow led to the exact thing for which I was searching. I unexplainably run across the right words, at the perfect time. 

Last night was one of those times. 


She made me think. I decided to forget about the bad, and look for the good. I thought about it a lot last night, and there is so much more good, than bad, that touches my life on a daily basis...so here is the good that I found this past week.

On Sunday, I found the good. A dear friend of ours, who was faced with the terribly untimely death of his quite young mother, stood strong while greeting family, friends and strangers as they stood in line to pay their respects. As the elderly lady in front of me visibly broke down in tears just before reaching the line of family, he noticed and stepped toward her to offer comforting words and a tight hug, while mustering a smile and telling her not to cry. He managed to momentarily work through his pain, facing what will probably be one of the hardest times of his life, in order to console a stranger. 

On Monday, I found the good. As we sat in the Emergency Room in the wee hours of the morning, scared to death about Hudson's fever that just wouldn't subside, we were calmed by the caring young nurse that went out of her way to explain each and every step she was taking to help our sick baby. Hours later, when we finally checked out, she ran after us, offering a warm blanket to shield Hudson from the winter cold as we took the short walk to our car.  

On Tuesday, I found the good. As I stopped into Hobby Lobby, I listened as the young girl who was ringing the bell for the Salvation Army greeted me with a heartfelt and cheerful hello, despite the freezing temperatures and whipping wind that blew. As I was leaving, I stood just inside the doors, digging in my purse for a dollar to donate, watching as shopper after shopper passed her by without even glancing her way, much less offering some change. When I dropped my dollar into the bucket, and wished her luck in the cold, she repaid me with a sincere smile and "God Bless You" that truly warmed my heart. 

On Wednesday, I found the good. My friend who is facing the serious illness of her 82 year old mother, is bearing the weight of her care at a young age while pregnant and raising a 2 year old boy. I dropped some homemade sweets by their house, and instead of spending the short time we were together complaining about her situation, she took the time to ask me about Hudson, and how he was feeling after his visit to the hospital. 

On Thursday, I found the good. My husband, who never fails to clean up the dishes, and never forgets to bring me apple juice before bed, helped me by entertaining Hudson for a couple of hours while I caught up on a few things around the house that needed my attention.

On Friday, I found the good. My mom, who does everything in her power to make me happy, and my dad, who never forgets to tell me how much he cares about me, welcomed Hudson and I into their home for a weekend of fun and laughter.

On Saturday, I found the good. A kind couple gave their shopping cart to me just inside the doors of the busy, packed toy store, as I stood barely out of the freezing wind with my bundled up baby held tightly in my arms.

So many other good things happened this week, that I didn't list. Sometimes it's important to sit down and think about all your many blessings. 

 I am so happy I discovered this beautiful post on the lovely Vintch blog. Because she shared this, I found my perspective. Thanks to her, I'm not feeling quite so blue. And best of all, I am reminded that the heart of life is good.

18 comments:

Andrea said...

Love this! What a sweet post, defintely just what I needed tonight.

Cara-Mia said...

Lovely post. I really do need to remind myself to stop and see the good instead of focusing on the bad. Thanks for sharing this.

Alaythea said...

This really was an amazing post - it's so easy to by pass all the good around you and just see the bad. This past week hasn't been the easiest for me but I've done my very best to just focus on the good as much as possible - it's amazing what attitude can do for you!

Jill @ TheLadyBoard said...

I love this. I've been completely overwhelmed and just incredibly blah, this is really what I needed.

Lisa said...

Great post! So true, and just what I needed! It is so easy to look past the good when you are down. Seems as if we both realized that last night from our posts!

As you find quotes that inspire you when you are down, I find things that make me laugh. On to bigger and better things today! :) Enjoy the snow flurries outside!!

Brooke said...

wow! this is so great! It is so true we don't look for the good! I think I may just do that today! :)

Sands said...

Aw, this is such a lovely heartwarming post, Ashley. I'm so sorry for your friends who are going through tough times and I hope Hudson's feeling a lot better by now. It touches my heart to know there are good people out there in the world. It's the little things that count, no? I'm glad all this made you feel better. It's making ME feel better. I am so grateful for life!

xo
Sands

Brooke said...

oh my goodness! THATS CRAZY!!! hah I just found it on weheartit. It really is a small world :)

Williams said...

I do my best to find the good in everything. No matter how bad something is there will always be something great to come out of it. LOVE YOU & GREAT POST!

Linda W said...

Beautiful, Ashley. I love that you shared all the good you were able to find. This could be a regular weekly post for you - finding the good in things. It is so uplifting and heartwarming.
The Auspicious Life

vintch said...

you have such a beautiful soul. the good that is in your life is so clear and you are so blessed, my friend. i'm so glad my words brought you comfort and healing-that's what makes this world of blogging so spectacular, this union and connection. the good truly is all around us. the hard part isn't finding it. it's looking for it. much love to you, this week and always.

Kristen said...

I loved this post. It is so truly important to look for the good in everyday life. Even if it can sometimes be hard to find, it's there. :) Thanks for reminding me.

Lisa D. said...

What a beautiful post. I was just catching up on your blog after a crazy week, and this post definitely made me smile. :)

{av} said...

So happy to have stumbled upon you--and vintch! :) This post definitely is helping me get ready for the week ahead! So touching. I also loved the reference to John Mayer ;) have a great start to the week! xoxo {av}

thedemuremuse.com said...

I love this post, Ashley. I don't even have words to really express how I feel except that I know I need to start looking past the small hurdles in life and start looking for the good.

Thanks for the inspiration. xo

❥ ќʀɨsтɨиɑ said...

hello! i was here... would you like to follow each others blogs?? =))) you can follow my blog by clicking here. *winks*

a. harms said...

Alright... You just made me cry. I was feeling so overwhelmed by such silly things today. Things completely out of my control. I needed to read something good. Thanks so much. It will now be my goal this week to notice the good things. You are just too cute and so kind.

SJ said...

Thank you for this post! I need to remember to find the good in things. It's so much easier to moan and groan when things aren't going your way, but it's so much better to notice the good things.