8.04.2010

What Lola wants, Lola gets.

Last month, Will got a new smartphone; One equipped with many entertaining and informational applications, including a navigational system which speaks in a female robotic voice, directing us this way and that during many of the little adventures we've taken in the past few weeks. We named her Lola.

Sometimes, on Saturday mornings, we wake up with a craving for an unexpected venture....a spontaneous trip to an unknown destination.  A couple of weekends ago, Will woke me up with his phone in hand, sleepily uttering the words, "Phone says let's go." After begging information from him, "Where are we going?", "What should I wear?", "What exactly will we be doing?", the only reply I received was: "Put on some tennis shoes...Phone says let's go."  I dressed myself and Hudson as comfortably as possible, grabbed my trusty Nikon, and we loaded into the car, listening to the robotic sounds of Lola, directing us South.

Our destination was Dismals Canyon, and hiking was on the agenda. I'm far athletic, but I do love spending time in the great outdoors....so long as I'm not experiencing nature overnight. Nope, no camping for me. I'll leave that to the males of this family. But I had no cause to fret, this would only be a day hike, and when we entered under the cool, wet rocks of the caverns, I knew I was in for a treat. We explored beautiful limestone formations, an Alabama oasis once occupied by Native American tribes some 10, 000 years ago. The area is lush and unspoiled, featuring natural grottos, bluffs, and waterfalls. Hudson was a good little trooper, as always, 'hiking along', strapped to his Dad's chest.

Thanks to Lola, we had a great time exploring the beautiful primeval sunken forest, relishing in the winding labyrinth of caves and canyons formed by ancient earthquakes. I can't wait for the next time Lola beckons us on an adventure....I'll definitely be ready to go and experience what the day has in store for us. Because what Lola wants, Lola gets.


{Dismals Canyon}


{Explorers}


{through the heart of the canyon}


{nature never goes out of style}


{Rainbow Falls}


{adventure awaits}


{happy trails to you}


{Home of the Chickasaw}


{hitting the trail}


{scaling new heights}


{a special hiding place; this spot was once a refuge for the outlaw Jesse James.}


{"All art is but imitation of nature." -Seneca The Younger}


{in every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks}


{"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness." -John Muir}

**In 2008, Will & I took a wonderful hike through the Sipsey Wilderness. I made this video when we returned, to remember what a great day we had. It's Will's favorite little film that I've made, so I'm posting this here for him....and I hope you enjoy it, too! Happy Hiking!

2 comments:

Summer T said...

You guys are always finding neat little places around here :) I love to hear about them.

of course i love the hiking video. the music was wonderful ;)

Megan said...

Amazing nature pictures!! Also, I love that sweet baby and his pictures!