5.08.2010

To my Mom on Mother's Day


Dear Mom,

Sometimes I wonder how I could survive without you. I am so thankful to have a mom who is not only my mother, but my very best friend.  Thank you for always being there for me, and for cheering me on when no one else would....you have always been my number one fan. Thank you for teaching me to work hard, and be kind and respectful....you have always inspired me to do my best at everything, no matter how small the task. Thank you showing me all the little things, like, how to boil an egg, how to tie a pretty bow, and the best way to curl my hair....I can always count on you.

For as long as I can remember, we have always been close. I think back to kindergarten; you would always tie my shoes before school, even though I knew how to tie them myself. And as I spent my day learning about numbers and letters, and playing hop scotch on the hot concrete, I would constantly peer down at my double-knotted laces.  If they came untied while I was at school, I never, ever re-tied them....because you were the last person to touch my laces.

And as I got a little older, I finally realized it was okay to re-tie my shoes, but I never distanced myself from you. I think that I made you lay down with me at night until I was thirteen years old...when I was very young, you were there to help me overcome my fear of the dark, and as I got older, you were there because I enjoyed your company.  I value and appreciate all that you have helped me through, whether it was a teenage broken heart or a bad grade, you always have had the right words to say.

And now, I am a mother, too. And it only intensifies my love for you, as I now see the many sacrificies you have made for me throughout your life. You always put me first, no matter what, and that is no easy feat. You remind me that no favor is to great when it comes to helping you family, and that nothing is too expensive, and that no distance is too far when it comes to making your child happy. You always do what you can to make me smile. 

You are fun, wise, and smart. You can always be counted on for a fabulous shopping trip, a spontaneous adventure, or a good laugh. Thank you for everything you do for me. I am lucky to have a mom like you. I love you so much this Mother's Day, and every day in between!

-Ashley


***And an extra special Mother's Day Wish to my Mother-in-Law, Martha!! Thank you for being the very best Mother-in-Law! From the day I first met Will, I not only fell in love with him, but also with his wonderful family.  You have always been an amazing mom to Will, and he is the man he is today because of you. Thank you for all you do for our family. We love you!

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Ashley, What a beautiful letter. You couldn't have done anything more special. It was a joy raising you because you followed all the rules and never strayed. We have laughed alot and cried alot but you have stayed the sweet person you are. You are a beautiful person inside and out and we are so proud of you and all your accomplishments. I am so proud of the mother you have become with little Hudson. I Love You Ashley and thank you for writing this.

Mom