4.12.2010

Tales from the Crib

Last night was a special night for our little Hudson. On the eve of his 8 Month Birthday, our little boy slept in his crib for the very first time! Yes, yes, he did just fine....but Mommy didn't do so well.

At 6:00 p.m., Will & I got to work preparing Hudson's crib for his first night alone. You may be wondering what preparations had to be made, and to that I say, "you have no idea." Where do I begin?

Last week, we discovered that Hudson was able to pull up on his crib rails and stand straight up, so we promptly lowered his mattress from the top position, to the middle position. Two days after that, we discovered that he was STILL able to pull up on his crib rails, using his fabric bumper as a sort of stair step. I was hanging some clothes in his armoire, thinking he was playing innocently in his crib. I had probably turned my back for 2.5 seconds, and by the time I was facing his way again, he had both arms latched onto the railing, with his head dangling precariously over the edge. Of course, I panicked. Here we have an 8 month old baby who has never even slept in his own room, and he has already figured out how to escape from the crib....

We decided to go ahead and lower the mattress to the bottom position. This way it will be virtually impossible for the little escape artist to slip out of the crib. So last night, I got Hudson all set up to sleep in his room. I moved his breathing moniter, from his cradle to his crib. If you're wondering, Hudson doesn't have any sort of condition that requires a breathing monitor. But I do have a condition....it's called worrying. I worry entirely to much. But I bought this breathing monitor when he was about 3 months old, and I can honestly say, ever since we've had it I have slept incredibly soundly. Even though he was in a cradle right next to our bed for the past 8 months, I still worried that he may roll over in the night and stop breathing. The sensor is basically an alarm that will alert us if Hudson stops breathing. If he does stop breathing, Will and I recently became certified in adult, child, and baby CPR at our local YMCA, so we've got life resuscitation covered. The breathing monitor is probably the best purchase I've ever made. So needless to say, the sensor was definitely moving to the crib, if only for my own piece of mind.

Now if you know me, you probably know that I have to take things an extra step further. I also assembled and configured a video monitoring system in Hudson's nursery last night. You see, I just couldn't imagine not being able to look at my little guy at any given time, you know, just to make sure everything looks okay. Sounds on monitors, unaccompanied by visuals, always seem extra frightnening. A simple deep breath sounds like a troubled gasp! A soft sigh could indicate smothering! Okay.....so I'm totally dramatic, but work with me here! If I had to lie in bed at night and just 'listen' to him on a monitor, I would never sleep again. Ever. And then I would be walking around like a zombie for the next 2 to 3 years. And nobody wants that to happen, right?

So fast forward to bedtime. Nursery surveillance and monitors are in working order. Hudson and I had our normal routine.  He quietly enjoyed a bottle in his boppy, followed by lots of cuddles and snuggles. He fell asleep around ten, and I gave Will a wink to let him know that I had not come up with some sort of extenuating circumstance that would allow me to keep our sweet baby in our room one more night. I tiptoed quietly from our room to his nursery, carefully trying not to jostle him around. He was sleeping deeply, and I was happy, because that would make everything easier. I would be able to just lay him down, and he would sleep all night, and I wouldn't feel guilty for leaving him in a new place, in the dark, all alone. I got all the way to the crib, and things were still going smoothly. Even the creak of our wooden floors didn't arouse him. Now all I had to do was lay him down. This is where things got tricky. I hadn't really tried to lay him down in the crib since we put the mattress in the lowest position. I leaned over the rail, to try to softly place him on the bedding. Only it was much harder than I imagined. Since I'm not tall (5'2" and a half, thank you), the crib rail hit me right in the center of the torso. So when I attempted to bend over to place my sleeping baby down, the rail dug into my ribcage uncomfortably, and every inch of my lower body lifted entirely off the floor. As I descended deeper in the crib to lie him down, the higher off the floor my legs flew. And I just knew that Will was laughing as he watched this process from the doorway. I wish I had a photograph....because I'm pretty positive it was a hilarious sight. As you could probably imagine, since I was halfway in the crib with Hudson, the first attempt to settle him into his bed was not successful.

A few minutes later, and Will and I are quietly mouthing ideas to each other about how in the world I can get our little boy into his bed. I decide that he should get the step stool, so I'll be taller, and can therefore escape the debilitating rail digging into my body. Our step stool is probably forty years old. It belonged to Will's dad in college, so you can easily perceive how unstable it is. Hudson's settled back into a deep sleep in my arms, so we sneak into his room again, me tiptoeing, and Will trailing behind with our wobbly stool. He sets it down on the floor, and kneels to hold the legs, while I step up. I balance on the stool, lean over, and I'm so high in the air, I can't even reach the mattress. You guessed it...Hudson woke up.

Thirty minutes later, I've finally rocked Hudson back to sleep. The entire time, my mind has been feverishly working...what could I do? Would I never be able to lie my baby down to sleep? I was on the verge of tears, for the second time in one night. The first time I cried was because I was sad to be in a different room than my baby. The second time I was crying because I couldn't figure out how I would ever get him to sleep in that room, since I couldn't even lay him in his crib.  Something had to give. I flippantly tell Will to go grab my pink wedge heels that I had worn earlier that day, and I ask him to place them facing Hudson's crib. He does so, probably thinking I've lost my mind. I creep into the nursery for the third time that night. I slip my feet into the wedges, and slide up to the crib. Can you believe that the shoes worked!! I was able to bend over the crib, the rail hitting me right at the waist. I laid the little guy down, and he slept. And slept. And when he woke up at 3:30 a.m., I didn't fret over how I would get him back in his bed. As long as my trusty pink wedge heels are nearby, this crib sleeping thing is going to be piece of cake.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Yay for Hudson!! (And Mommy & Daddy, too!) Glad his first night in the crib was a success! Aren't video monitors great? It's like watching a really good movie :) Josh thinks it's time to get rid of ours... :(

Jeannie said...

I love this little story, I know how concerned you were about putting him in his big bed. Everything turned out well. I'm glad you got the video monitor.