3.19.2010

List Three - My Favorite Dresses in Movies

1. Faith Korvatch's White Dress in Only You
Only You
Ironically, I found it utterly impossible to find a picture of this dress online! The photo I've posted shows hardly any of the dress...but if you ever run across this movie (my very favorite movie of all time), watch for this white dress. Marisa Tomei's character Faith wears it on her date with Damon Bradley (Billy Zane) in Positano. It's simply beautiful.

2. Carrie Bradshaw's Wedding Gown in Sex and the City Movie
Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie Bradshaw is one of my favorite characters, and when she chose this iconic gown for her wedding to Big, I was thrilled.  Carrie wears what most of us could only dream of wearing, and I love that. This Vivienne Westwood wedding dress is fantastic. It's a masterpiece.

3. Holly Go-Lightly's Black Dress in Breakfast at Tiffany's
Audrey Hepburn's iconic character donned this satin black Givenchy evening gown as she emerged from a cab onto the empty NYC morning street. It's hard to forget this scene, and it's even harder to forget this classic dress.

4. Scarlett O'Hara's Barbeque Dress in Gone With The Wind
Vivien Leigh's character wears this off-the-shoulder ruffled frock to the BBQ at Twelve Oaks. The dress is flirty and innocent. And, "Fiddle-de-dee", the look just wouldn't be complete without the oversize straw hat!

5. Andie's Gold Dress in How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days
Kate Hudson's character wears this timeless gold satin dress to a diamond gala. The back is my favorite part of the dress. I love the color and the elegance.

6. Rose DeWitt's Red Dress in Titanic

Kate Winslet's Rose wore this dress when Jack (Leo DiCaprio) rescued her as she tried to jump from the Titanic. With a light colored underskirt that upstages the darkness of the top of the dress, it was designed to cross class boundaries. I love all the ornamental beadwork and the deep, rich garnet color.

7. Cecilia's Green Dress in Atonement
I think what I love most is the emerald color of this gorgeous gown. The style perfectly complimented the tone of the film.

8. Vivian's Brown Polka Dot Dress in Pretty Woman
It's fun, and the style is classic. Although this movie was made in 1990, this dress could easily be worn today. I love this scene from the movie, and I adore the dress!

9. Dorothy's Dress in The Wizard of Oz
This little gingham number has stood the test of time. It's an iconic dress that many will never forget.

10. Liv's Wedding Gown in Bride Wars
Kate Hudson wore this fabulous dress designed by Vera Wang. I absolutely love a wedding gown with layers upon layers of tulle. And if you're wondering...my own wedding dress had many layers of tulle....would you have expected any different?

I was inspired to create this list after Will and I saw Alice in Wonderland last week. I love all of the costume creations in the movie, especially all of the transformations Alice's dress undergoes throughout the course of the film. It's fun to look to movies for fashion inspiration! What are your favorite movie fashions?

(3 down, 49 to go)

4 comments:

Gina said...

I could not get over kate's dress in how to lose a guy in ten days when I first saw the movie. It's stunning!

Emz said...

ok-I found you from gina's blog. This is the best post ever. I love the dresses you chose. :)

Meri said...

This is a great list! I love the how to lose a guy in ten days dress too- I always wanted it! My personal fave is Audrey Hepburn's dress in Sabrina at the party...the Dior... Wow!

Laura Elizabeth said...

When I saw this post, I instantly thought of Keira Knightley's dress in Atonement. It's so gorgeous. I feel like you got most of the dresses that I would have picked. Hmm... thinking... ooh, I love Drew Barrymore's dress in Enchanted that she wears to the ball. Super pretty.